I have a series 1 580SL that just stops sometimes.Seems like it only does it when moving foward.I have been able so far to get it moving again by cycling FNR lever.It only does it every hour or so but i am afraid it will get worse.I figure it could be a number of things electrical.I was just wondering what if anything is a more common problem?
Check and make sure the fuse is in tight underneath the loader lever. Happen to me on my friends series 1 L once. Everything ran fine all morn, stop for lunch hop back in and she would'nt move. He told me to check the fuse, it would fall out on its own sometimes. Could be as simple as that. Only other common trans problem I know of, on the 95 L's was the charge pump letting go. Know a few guys who lost them but your problem doesnt sound any close to that.
The most common problem with these symptoms is the interlock relay. It is located in the relay panel in the upper left corner. It is taller then the rest of the relays and outside of the square the rest of the relays are in. Usually the way to tell is if your backalarm works when the machine is working correctly it will not work when the interlock is tripped. If this is the case get a new relay from your dealer.