Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

590 sm cummins blew dipstick out

JrRich23lineman · 2021-01-27 20:17

Dad was running machine, when it blew the dipstick out of the tube. Now its leaking oil out the tube. What would cause this condition.

Replies14
  1. #1DB22021-01-27 20:44

    Excess blowby. Remove the oil filler cap while it’s running and see how much “smoke” is coming out.

  2. #2Coaldust2021-01-27 21:17

    Check the crankcase breather to make sure it’s not plugged. Does it have a crankcase filter? Maybe the turbocharger oil seal on the impeller side is leaking manifold pressure into the crankcase. Maybe a bad injector burnt a hole in a piston. Maybe someone squirted a bunch of starting fluid into it recently and now it has broken piston rings.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-01-27 21:26

    I’ve got some high- hour PACCAR PX6 and PX8 (rebranded Cummins) in T300/T370 KW’s that I maintain. In high humidity weather near the freeze point, the crankcase filters freeze up and blow the dip sticks out. Like clockwork.

  4. #4Coaldust2021-01-27 21:49

    The first time that happened, the driver freaks out. Hurry up! Truck down! Purchase last-minute AK Airlines ticket to Sitka. Rental Car, $300 hotel room. Two days of travel round trip, day of labor and a couple meals. Oh’ hey. Didn’t you notice the illuminated CEL & Crankcase pressure sensor code? Never mind. The crankcase filter is frozen. Goldstreak one from Anchorage. For now, let’s just remove the filter and haul some fuel. Fix some other stuff and fly back to Anchorage on day three. That is what a $4,500 crankcase filter looks like. Lol

  5. #5skyking12021-01-27 22:01

    that's a wild trip. At least it wasn't what was wrong with my Cummins.

  6. #6RollOver Pete2021-01-28 09:20

    What ended up being wrong ? Did ya melt something or just crack some rings?

  7. #7skyking12021-01-28 09:25

    I got it from a logging outfit that told me up front that it used oil. It would go about 1600 miles on a gallon. That was OK it was smooth and functional for almost two years. Then that morning I fired i up and it broke some MORE rings. I think 5 and 6 both tops and most of the rest on 6. Dave the overhaul mechanic said it was carnage on the shop floor It's 20 over new parts and the Colt Big Stick cam as of winter '17

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-01-28 09:46

    On a Cummins ISX or others with a crankcase breather filter if it throws a code for high crankcase pressure, and you don't have filter. Remove the filter and just drill about five 1/2" holes through the plastic filter body and install so filter seals housing. Until you can get another filter. If it ruined a piston or broke rings-remove the fill cap like said above and you should see a rhythmic huff or puff of oil vapor each time the bad cylinder is on compression stroke.

  9. #9JrRich23lineman2021-01-28 11:56

    Good starting points. Let ya know what I find.

  10. #10skyking12021-01-28 15:40

    See the video I posted above for an example!

  11. #11Truck Shop2021-01-28 20:03

    Nope can't do that it's in my contract that I can't watch any videos of engines running on Thursdays.

  12. #12RollOver Pete2021-01-28 20:23

    You ain't seen nothin' yet.... 50 psi compression in #1. The rest are 300psi+. Here's some pics of #1 when I checked compression. I have no clue how I did this? But it still runs good...kind of. Its in my 06 3500. 17000 hrs , 381,000 miles and lotsa Lucas .

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2021-01-28 21:43

    Is this a series 1 or a series 2 machine? Also a serial number would be nice. I think your post got hacked real quick.

  14. #14Coaldust2021-01-29 03:08

    Good point, Truck Shop. I've replaced the filters on the ISX CM871 to the Cummins 3691476 maintenance free, which is the same thing you described by drilling.