Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

6 ton trailer same tire wear issue

John V · 2022-02-13 14:25

Hello, I'm looking for some advice regarding my double axle 6 ton trailer. I recently had a blow out when I had to brake pretty hard and I was towing a 7000 lbs excavator. Got the tire replaced with a good used tire. Now that same tire is extremely worn. The outside groove has the least wear. There are spots on the tire that look like they've been dragging, but I haven't noticed weirdness while driving with it. I've maybe put 200 miles on this used tire. Does it look indicative of a brake issue? Included a picture of my axles. They're both the same bowed shape, I'm assuming that appropriate?

Replies9
  1. #1crane operator2022-02-13 15:46

    Looks to me like the axle is bent, which would play havoc with tire wear.

  2. #2John V2022-02-13 15:55

    Are they supposed to be bowed like an upside down smile? Both axles look about the same

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-02-13 17:29

    What brand was that used tire?

  4. #4Tags2022-02-13 17:51

    Looks to me that your brakes are grabbing and flat spotting the tire. Either your brake controller is set to high when unloaded causing the tires to skid/drag when empty or you could have a leaky seal causing that one brake to get grabby

  5. #5John V2022-02-13 17:58

    Loadstar. It had plenty of life when put on. Literally just a couple trips pulling the mini ex around and it’s trashed. Any good methods for balancing the brakes? Or just turn the star wheel so all the brakes are about equal? Since it’s a deckover it’s hard to see if the wheels are locking up or not.

  6. #6Truck Shop2022-02-13 18:38

    Check the adjuster rotation against one of the other brakes to see if it's tighter, also are the others working properly?

  7. #7AzIron2022-02-13 19:57

    A few things to check when loaded does the trailer sit fairly level or is it tongue heavy brakes have already been mentioned but also if the wheel seal is bad or thub gets over greased it usually ends up on the brakes causing an in balance of brake application so if you turn the controller up some tires may lock up while others really dont brake also you really need to figure out if there locking up when unloaded cause your brake controller is set to high Biggest overlooked thing with small trailers is quality of tire a lot of trailer tires are cheap ass garbage the rubber is not hard enough to resist wear especially with a load on standard trailer tires they get squishy and build heat makes them wear way faster I have seen tire life increase dramatically on trailers going to a 3 or 4 ply sidewall as opposed to a 2 ply

  8. #81693TA2022-02-13 20:04

    Most light trailer axles are "cambered" as yours to somewhat straighten out as they are loaded. This precludes the insides of the tire patch from wearing faster than the outer, (in theory) when the trailer is loaded. Semi trailers really don't do this but use much thicker tubing which adds a lot of additional weight in comparison.

  9. #9gwhammy2022-02-16 07:22

    Lay a straight edge down both tires to see if one is bent. You could also put a level on the up and down to see if all the tires have the same canter in them . I'm guessing bent axle, 6000 lb. axles don't have very thick tubing, I've bent a lot of the 7000 lb. ones. Hitting pot holes loaded is really hard on them.