Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

6 wheel dump truck more lifting capacity

firecatf7333 · 2023-07-14 22:30

I have a frieghtliner 6 wheel dump truck that will lift about 10 ton. It's a scissor lift with a single cylinder ( believe it's 6").. I'd like to lift 12-13 ton. That's what I haul now but have to shovel some out if I don't have equipment at the job site. Anything over 10 ton and it just starts to barely lift and then stops. If I assist it with skid steer once it starts going about 6-10" up it will lift by itself. Anything I can do to increase lifting capacity? A hydraulic shop told me he could make a 7" cylinder which would increase lift approx 20% but wasn't sure the frame would support the extra weight. Quoted me $2500.

Replies16
  1. #1firecatf73332023-07-14 22:31

    This is an automatic dump truck which runs off the transmission for the pump

  2. #2MG842023-07-14 22:50

    13 tons on a single axle? Seems like a lot IDK. I personally favor the old school twin telescoping cylinder hoists, a lot more lifting power than the scissor hoists in my experience. I’ve got those on both a f600 with a 10’ gravel bed, and a c60 with a 14’ grain bed. They are both very stout, never stalled either, I believe the cylinders would go through the floor of the bed if you overloaded it too much.

  3. #3mekanik2023-07-15 04:03

    I would start by checking the hydraulic pressure. It may be set too low.

  4. #492U 34062023-07-15 06:36

    X2 on checking the pressure first.

  5. #5terex herder2023-07-15 07:13

    Yes, check pressure first. Relief valve springs get weak over time. It sounds like you are working the lift plenty hard. Your weak link now is pretty forgiving (pressure relief). The next weak link may cost a lot more money to fix.

  6. #6DMiller2023-07-15 08:31

    If initial pressure looks good then drops off likely cylinder piston seals gone or cylinder barrel ballooned. If holds under a load at any height is likely just pressure low.

  7. #756wrench2023-07-15 08:59

    With a single cylinder scissor hoist, i would not push it past 10t. The heavier scissor hoists have twin cylinders and are used on tandem body jobs. If a single cylinder hoist is pushed past its rated capacity the hoist side frames and cross tubes may fold and buckle

  8. #8Jonas3022023-07-15 13:49

    Your way over weight thats not even pushing the limits its trying to put a tandem load on a single Your truck is talking to you and your not listening If its off road only and you dont care what breaks on the truck turn the pressure up if we are loading a pit truck heavy more goes on by the tailgate so it can lift easier

  9. #9BillPrecision2023-07-15 14:10

    Hi, as most have stated checking pressure would be the easiest way of achieving more capacity. You can also depending on how much over hang the body currently has add more and that will offset some weight. Another option will reduce the maximum dump angle but you could move the hoist forward in the frame, 45 degrees is usually the minimum required to unload most material without a vibratory.

  10. #10Truck Shop2023-07-15 15:24

    26,000 net on a single axle, what's the tare? How thick are the frame rails? The axle housing isn't built for that, neither is the suspension. Not my money though.

  11. #11JaredV2023-07-15 23:10

    Some people like my dad don't actually count tires, but refer to a tandem axle truck as a "six wheeler". I think it's a holdover from the early days of trucking when duals weren't widely used. I've seen it in '50s truck brochures which is when he was growing up. The OP might have a tandem.

  12. #12Truck Shop2023-07-16 07:39

    You are correct, but I haven't heard 6 wheeler term for tandem used in over 40 years. Most of the old lingo/terms have been dead for a long time.

  13. #13Truck Shop2023-07-16 20:36

    Found a old IH ad. *

  14. #1492U 34062023-07-16 20:53

    "6-wheel trucks" Clear picture of a truck with 10 wheels.

  15. #15DMiller2023-07-16 21:25

    And a 190, ugggh. Corn Queen had their own differentials, weak point was ring gear rivets, had bolting kits in later years but once a carrier had a ring slip, getting ANYTHING to hold was iffy.

  16. #16Truck Shop2023-07-16 21:34

    I posted that for you-I purposely looked for one of those turds.