I've got a 12.7L detroit 60 series. Checked my coolant level today, it was a little low but I could still see coolant in the radiator. Went to put a couple gallons of distilled h2o in and it ran out on the ground. It's coming out from somewhere above the bottom bolt of the water pump but I can't tell where . Can someone please explain to me whats going on here
Pictures?
It's leaking coolant past the weep hole located on the bottom back side of the pump. Very common 12.7L 60 Series coolant pump is fairly easy change and easy to find a replacement. Just be careful removing the mounting bolts, don't horse them there only 10MM. use anti seize on the threads when installing. Those pumps will also leak at the back cover to the pump too And replace the upper bypass hose that enters the top of the pump also.
Here's the guy on top wrote a comment on how to fix a coolant leak. But this is so much trouble. As already mentioned, the 12.7L 60 Series has a very common coolant pump, but it breaks as often too. If your water pump is already doing so badly, then imagine what will happen in the future.
I would suggest you simply buy a normal pump that will work for a long time and properly. Believe me, if you buy a new pump you will spend a lot less money than repairing the old one every time. I've been through this before, what's more, I've screwed up a few times and bought bad water pumps. So, a few years ago I bought a flojet 18555-000A for my home - sumppumpadvisor.com , and to this day I don't regret about it. It still works perfectly for both drinking water and preparing food.