Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

613 cracked hitch repair advise.

HSV127 ยท 2013-06-08 17:57

Hi Guys, Just after some discussion/debate on the best method to repair the cracks in this hitch? As you can see someone has already had a hack at it.

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2013-06-09 03:07

    Looks like she's coming apart everywhere. Metal fatigue, surely. Kind of depends on how long you plan to keep it running, and how much hard use it gets. You can pull all the lines off, air arc everything out and weld it back and hope for the best. If you're planning on running it hard for a few more years, I personally would probably pull all the lines, disconnect the hitch, then cut that whole hollow section out and fabricate a new one out of good high strength plate, three pieces like an excavator boom, not formed like the old piece. But that's just me. Other opinion may vary, lol.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2013-06-09 03:58

    Yair . . . HSV127 . I reckon lantraxco has put it pretty well. I don't know that I would fabricate a complete new section though. I would try and get the machine sitting on a level floor, jack and crib the slack out fore and aft so there was no weight on the hitch, strip off the plumbing and hose mounting blocks and get it right back to the basic structure. On this one for sure, I would cut an inspection hole and have a look inside. I have no idea what is in there but if there are other members they are sure to be cracked. You may well have to cut extensive windows in both sides of the hitch to do the repair. If you do really have to get into it I would jack and wedge the tractor level and weld steel stands in place. Take some accurate measurements and datum points . . . something like a tyre slowly leaking could cause a bit of strife. With the inside fixed I'd vee the edges and close the windows, gouge any other cracks, grind it all smooth and skin with (say) 5/8plate shaped to suit . . . that is to say terminated with radius's and no hard transitions. It's a big job but I think a little quicker than building a new hitch. All the best with it. Cheers.

  3. #3Nige2013-06-09 11:37

    Let me do some digging and I'll get back to you. I'm sure that somewhere I can find something regarding repairing that area of scraper hitch - maybe not for a 613 but the procedure will be transferrable even if the measurements aren't. What I'd suggest for starters is to pull off all the plumbing and bracketry and take some more photos once the dog can see the rabbit so to speak ....... the scraper's going nowhere in that condition anyway. Looking at these photos makes me smile when I think of all the comments made recently on a thread about a crack in an excavator boom like " I could weld that up in 1 hour" and suchlike. Well gents, this is where the "butter it over and weld it up in 1 hour" repair gives somebody else a major headache further down the road. The case for the prosecution rests m'lud - " Fix it once - fix it right...! "

  4. #4Nige2013-06-09 11:40

    Update - that didn't take long. Guess what, there is a procedure. PM me an e-mail address and I'll send to to you. You may need additional information after that but it'll make a good starting point.

  5. #5HATCHEQUIP2013-06-09 16:50

    might want to check for some worn pins and bushings also a lot of the time that's what keeps these necks cracking is all that slop in worn necks

  6. #6Nige2013-06-09 19:46

    All the bore diameters for every hole in the hitch are in the document I just sent to the OP.

  7. #7HSV1272013-06-10 05:32

    Thanks for that Nige, and thanks to everyone who replied, all good info. I will put more pics up when I've stripped it back to the ugly truth, it's a bit marginal weather to fix it or part the old girl out but it still goes well and if I try to do all the work myself I should be able to repair it for a reasonable price. It's not going to get a huge amount of work but will be handy to have around and beats shoveling! haha

  8. #8RayF2013-06-10 09:04

    After the weld repair has been done its not only the bore diameters that will need checking. Bores will move with the welding and will end up out of alignment. Its worth considering. Misalignment will stress the structure and could well case failure later on. Also I with some in that I would have a careful look at the cracked areas and if possible replace the section rather than try and repair every crack.

  9. #9Nige2013-06-10 15:19

    I agree Ray, which is why I suggested to remove everything that's getting in the way of a clear photo first, then start thinking how to go about the repair, whether best to start cutting and carving and putting new material in there, weld the cracks up, or maybe even a combination of both the aforementioned.