Gentlemen, So, im not experienced on Cat equipment, Can the stator be repaired in the torque convertor from the back without pulling the trans diff package out? Thanks in advance Russ
Don't think so, but others may have differing opinions. Here is the D&A
We have it apart and if the book is correct, since it is clear as mud, the cam ring was in backwards. New one is clearly marked impeller side and is now installed correctly.. Cat builds things differently.
Did you recently rebuild it and put it in wrong or was it that way for a while?
We just bought the machine. It was in right. I matched wear pattern on thrust plate. Testing tomorrow. Problem was it wouldn't climb the pile , acted like it just powered out. 1st & 2nd. Almost pulled it in third, which if I understand correctly goes around the convertor. Only thing common in those two gears is convertor and clutch 1
Is there a chance that the freewheel mechanism for the stator is acting up and not locking the stator in position when it’s in converter drive..? That would give you symptoms just like converter stall.
The 623B had a unique variable capacity torque converter. Seems like there was an air valve associated with first and second gears to send more power to the elevator, so it would make sense for it to vary torque converter operation as well. A service manual transmission operations section would clear up my foggy memory. Nige, maybe you can explain how that works or if it's part of his problem?
Good point Don. I’ll see if I can find the SysOp for it and post back. It may be a while, I’m out & about @ the minute.
Here's the SysOp. I assumed it was a 46P-prefix machine. It covers the operation of the variable-capacity torque converter in some detail.
Ah hah, I thought I remembered an air valve in the mix somewhere. It should make an air sound when shifted into 1st or 2nd gear slots toward your knee.
Hi, I am trying to understand what you mean by ( acted like it just powered out. 1st & 2nd ) do you mean the machine slowed down and engine speed stayed the same or that engine lugged down to near stall ? do this simple check. operate the machine under load with the elevator engaged if the elevators slow down it is possible that the safety clutch in the flywheel housing is slipping Note many a transmission/convertor rebuild has occurred for no reason from incorrectly diagnosing this clutch Mark
Early 623s 46P to 1023 do not have a flywheel safety clutch, unless the machine was upgraded.
Did you get it fixed?
Hi Stan unfortunately the op has declined to offer a serial number. I picked the later serial number break as I know a lot of machines were converted over time (have done quite a few myself) if any one is interested I have a copy of the conversion procedure and the media number Mark