Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

624H coolant in oil

mattyt1984 · 2019-06-14 21:55

I bought a deere 6024 h and I got it running had a little miss so I shut it down because I did not see coolant in it. I put water into the radiator and noticed the engine oil rose up on the dip stick. With in minutes the water I put in the cooling system ended up in the engine oil. IS there anything common on this that would cause such a massive leak from coolant into engine oil??

Replies9
  1. #1Vetech632019-06-14 22:46

    Does the coolant leak into the engine when it is not running?

  2. #2mattyt19842019-06-15 02:38

    Yes

  3. #3mg23612019-06-15 06:13

    Is the misfire new? The oil/coolant mix start a the same time as the miss? Did it smoke when it missed? What color was the smoke and did it have a fuel smell or a sweet smell? That may give a clue as to which cylinder may be a problem. There is only several places for the transfer to happen. 1. Engine oil cooler (which I would check first) 2. Head gasket/cracked head 3. Piston Liner (either electrolysis or liner o-rings) 4. And very, very rare but I seen it once is the water pump being shot and wearing a hole in the timing gear cover. That was a water pump with a metal impeller, though most of those engines did have plastic impellers).

  4. #4mattyt19842019-06-15 07:07

    Im not sure about miisfire as I bought it like this at an auction. It has the coolant drained with clean engine oil. No smoke out exhaust but a little bit out of the breather when it started. Whatever it is leaks like a gallon of coolant into oil in a few minutes.

  5. #5Vetech632019-06-15 09:39

    LOL...…………..OH MAN! Sorry

  6. #6mattyt19842019-06-29 17:03

    I removed cylinder head today and definitely a major issue cylinders 2 3 and 4 are all at top dead center. Number two cylinder must have broken connecting rod. Will the oil pan come off this without removing the engine looks like at minimum I would have to remove the fuel tank?

  7. #7heymccall2019-06-29 17:48

    On my 544G,H, &J machines, it's easiest to just take out the engine. Disconnect shaft from motor to converter, rest is straight forward (mounts, hoses, wiring, ac comp, fan drive pump, etc.)

  8. #8mg23612019-06-29 18:44

    Definitely easier to pull the engine like heymccall said.

  9. #9Shimmy12019-06-29 21:59

    Did you buy this trainwreck over the internet?? Hope you got a good deal.