Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

627 b

TimHay · 2010-03-13 09:28

I just bought a 627b scraper. Can any one tell me what it would weigh? (preferrably in canadian weights LOL)

Replies16
  1. #1Truck 5052010-03-13 10:00

    The former models section of my Cat Performance Handbook says the shipping weight of a 14S 627B is 34610 kg or 76300 lb.

  2. #2AmerIndependent2010-03-13 16:02

    Congrats on the purchase Tim! I usually check ritchiespecs: http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...per&make=Caterpillar&model=627B&modelid=94103 Another good one is: http://www.ironrecord.com/

  3. #3alan627b2010-03-15 02:56

    You just got my favorite model of scraper...I'm jealous. One of the ones I ran used to have a plate riveted to the side claiming 75,000 llbs empty, and 125,000 loaded. Not sure how accurate that information is. I'll check my spec sheets and see waht they say...then add in some "dirt and grease weight" because it gets hidden everywhere. Did you get a push-pull version or not? That will add some weight, as will an enclosed rops and optional equipment. Hope you got one with the big rubber, the "short" 29.5X29 tires suck if you get into mud. You wouldn't think so, but 33.25X29 tires make noticeable difference. Ride better too. Stay with Goodyear, Michelin or Firestone...I got one that had Yokohama tires, it rode like crap. Hard as a brick. Adapt a D7G muffler to the tractor if it ever fails, and save about $700 per muffler too. Alan...627B

  4. #4alan627b2010-03-15 03:00

    From Iron record's specs... Weight & Dimensions Weight (Pounds)Height Length Width 76,300 11' 11" 43' 9" 11' 4" Don't forget the pics....need an operator?

  5. #5TimHay2010-03-15 07:53

    thanks for the help guys yes it has the big rubber and is a push pull, i will take that off nuntill i can get another it has oil in the rad so i have to do a cooler and change a few tires but it was pretty aheap, i thought any way

  6. #6alan627b2010-03-16 23:41

    Good deal Tim, having the front block off is also nice if you have to dive off a slope...it's a lot harder to get to be at the bottom with your beak stuck in the dirt! Show us some pics when you can. Alan627b

  7. #7hiballer6272010-03-17 22:47

    If you kept the block on you could shove your 21s with it. (Assuming you have a skilled, careful operator on it.)

  8. #8d9gdon2010-03-18 13:13

    Push block pushin 21's That's what I do, it'll load 'em faster than my D8R in good material.

  9. #9TimHay2010-04-06 09:06

    thats what i have been thinking about doing.

  10. #10Vantage_TeS2010-04-09 20:33

    Might wanna unthink that one, unless you want some cool pictures of a 27 humping the back of a 21, pushing without a hook is a good way to break some airtanks on a single. What happens is the rear goes down in the single (picks up his/her bowl or comes to a hump) and the pushblock on the twin rides up, slides along the top and then falls through the cover on the airtanks. Once you're up that far it's a fun time trying to get it back off as the spring part of the pushblock is now hooked IN your single. It CAN be done, but it's just a matter of time until someone ends up on the back. With a push/pull setup there's a rad guard on the back to keep this from happening.

  11. #11Hollywood627G2010-04-23 01:30

    True, but a skilled operator should have no problem with it. Have him push with the can all the way up

  12. #12ETMF 58 White2019-04-07 22:19

    Can you haul a 627B on a triaxle RGN with a 24 ft. well and load bearing fenders? I have outriggers and oak boards if necessary. I can get a permit for the combined weight of the scraper and my haul rig, which would be about 118,000 lbs combined. But my truck is a tandem axle with no pusher axle, so I would be limited to 60000 on the trailer, 46000 on the drives, and 13200 on the steer axle. Can I get one of these ungainly things on a 24 ft well trailer, would the load bearing fenders handle one end of the machine, and would it be anywhere close to legal on the allowable axle weights? BTW, this would be to take the machine across the Mississippi River, so there’s pretty much zero chance of avoiding the scale house.

  13. #13mowingman2019-04-07 22:32

    We got a similar setup in the 90's and wanted to move our 623B scrapers. To do so legally,( in Texas, Oklahoma, and La.), we had to have a third rear axle added to the truck tractor. It was a lift axle, and we only had to use it to move the scrapers. We did get them loaded on the trailer with no problems. I do not see how you can meet today's weight regulations without a 3rd rear axle on the truck tractor.

  14. #14ETMF 58 White2019-04-07 23:24

    Thanks. I can always hire it moved, I suppose. I’m not even sure this is what I want to use for the job anyway. It’s only 50,000 yards or so, but the borrow area is on old farm field of gumbo type clay and it will be wet for a couple more months at least, but I need to start sooner than that. The dump area is a large area of 4:1 slope that needs this 50,000 yards put on it so grass will grow. My good operator with 40+ years of road building experience says he thinks the dual engine 627s will work whereas the dirt pan rigs will just be stuck trying to work in that field. Alternatively, we could load small -25 or 30 ton- artic trucks with a 350 class excavator and use a dozer to spread the material on the slope. I’m not sure which would be better, although I can put together 3 artics, 2 excavators, and a spreading dozer immediately. The 627s I would have to hunt for a sub, or rent a couple for pretty high rental rate, or buy a couple of older ones. Not attractive options for the 627s, I’ll admit. But neither is the prospect of liquidated damages if we don’t get going soon. 3/4 mile haul distance.

  15. #15mowingman2019-04-08 08:36

    Can you road the scrapers to the site? Have done that, and it involves a state permit, but a lot less cost than hauling.

  16. #16ETMF 58 White2019-04-08 10:00

    Well that’s how my dad and all the guys of his generation did it too, and I think it would still work today in certain areas. But this job involves crossing the Mississippi River, and there’s not many choices for that. But I came up with another idea: Terex TS14Bs instead of 627s. They are smaller and lighter and might work better on the soft ground. But they are obsolete and I would think, given their age, prone to breakdowns. And I don’t know how much production I could get per day in this gumbo clay. Some of the experienced scraper guys on here might have a guess. I could easily have a D7E, F, or G dozer available to push load; there are several of them still around here at my disposal for fairly cheap rates. Nothing will move this 50,000 yards as cheap as the big tractor pans at 38 yards a whack, but I just don’t think they’re going to stand up in that borrow area. Maybe I’m wrong.