Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

627 Transmission – Keep or Scrap

631G · 2024-11-14 10:25

We are in the process of relocating our shop to new location and subsequently are going through the fun of cleaning up and sorting out what to keep and what to scrap. We have a transmission that fits to an original 627 scraper. No idea of its real condition (running take out or parts only). It's an 8S9010 arrangement and best I can see on SIS, it fits to a 54K and 68M series 627 scraper tractor. Is there any real market for this transmission to make it worth the trouble of moving or even hanging onto? I checked on machinery trader and there are only a handful of these vintage machines even posted so I can imagine that there aren't many of these wagons still out there kicking around in the dirt. Scrap here locally is paying $6/100# for reference.

Replies7
  1. #1nicky 68a2024-11-22 01:32

    I’ve had the same experience over the years. Sometimes you can’t give stuff away. I’m sure you’ll find a buyer for it at good money,the very day after you send it to the scrap dealer. In my experience,scrap it.

  2. #2Buckethead2024-11-28 13:18

    Still some early 627s running. Probably someone will buy it, if it doesn't move you could scrap it.

  3. #3Shimmy12024-11-28 16:46

    Why is this a universal situation in our worlds? I get constantly berated for keeping what most consider junk, but it never fails. Within a month of tossing something in the trash or scrap, I find myself looking at a problem that could have been solved with what I threw away. Now, being able to find these odds and ends when needed IF they haven't been tossed is always a relevant question, and someday I will invent a system to keep things organized, but currently I have to remember myself.

  4. #4shopguy2024-11-28 19:25

    to quote an old friend of mine,If you keep it it is junk but if you scrap it and have to go buy one later they won’t see it that way

  5. #5631G2024-12-14 10:51

    We did scrap the transmission and per Murphys law got an offer the next week. Granted it wasn’t much but it was above the scrap value but just proves the point of the post above about holding onto something.

  6. #6CM19952024-12-14 14:07

    Murphy always wins!

  7. #7nicky 68a2024-12-19 05:49

    Don’t beat yourself up about it. If I had a £ $ for everyone that told me they’d have bought something right after I’d scrapped it,I’d be a millionaire