I was thinking about getting a winch for a Deere 650G. I was pleasantly surprised by the pricing I discovered. Seems the winch was as much as I paid for the Dozer. Are there multiple models that would fit a 650G? As popular as they are in forestry, I figured I would find a used on at a decent price. So far no luck. Just a lot of scammers and also suggestions to buy a winch that was on another model CAT dozer and fab everything to work... Any input would be appreciated. Do I have to have a Deere 4000 winch. All of them seem to be 15-20K. Am I not looking in the right places to find one? Is that the only one recommended for this Dozer?
Is the G series deer PTO driven? Cant find a video on it and waiting on my manual order.
There is a “live” shaft accessed at the rear of the machine via a removable plate on the transmission back cover. See screenshot shot attached . .
Thank you
A Deere 4000 for a G dozer had a unique front cover and a unique input shaft. There was an adapter housing used as well on the transmission rear cover. You need to fabricate some winch mounting brackets. . For a Carco 30, Carco supplied a kit with a splined PTO shaft adapter, a housing that mounted on the rear transmission cover and an adapter hub on the winch housing to make it work. You need to fab some winch mounting brackets.
Thank you for the info
If you wouldn't mind, how hard is it to take the winch off ? I've pulled a carco 30 before but not a 4000, off a 650G. Power in / power out model. Anything special to watch out for ?
Welcome to HEF BoatTrash . Nothing special to watch out for. There is an adapter on the dozer transmission cover with an o-ring to seal the joint with the snout on the winch front cover and the winch input shaft is on a spline so when removing the winch everything just slips apart. See screenshot below for the o-ring part #. .
So there's an internal cover for the trans spline, and the outer cover on the back of the machine. I've been told I've gotta drain the trans down to unhook the winch line at the bottom. The fittings on the trans metric or ? I appreciate it,
The plug for the transmission rear cover I believe is 1-1/16 “ , same as a -12 oring boss. # 10 is the cover you could fabricate. .