I have a 2005 JD 650J XLT. I can start the dozer using starting fluid and run all day long. Go to start again and need to use starting fluid. Whether I try starting immediately after I turn it off or hours later it is always the same. Anyone point me in a direction?
Is that a common rail fuel system?
not sure what you mean. I have been out of the diesel game for a while. Lines come off injector pump and go directly to injectors
If the pump and injectors are ok could be low compression.
When you crank to restart does it smoke? If not its losing its prime
The starter could be dragging. The fuel system on that dozier is electronic but not common rail . If the starter is turning to slow, the bump of ether can get the rpms up high enough for the ECM to turn the pump on.
No smoke. When i crank it over and crack the line at the injector fuel comes out. I checked o-rings at primary and the lines at the secondary. Are there common places these can have leak and lose prime?
Could it be not enough pressure from pump to fire injectors until the engine starts with starting fluid because pump is turning over faster?
Old diesels can have a wide variety of issues that might cause this. Newer diesels with common rail, & electronic injectors might have ten times as many things that could go wrong. After checking all the obvious stuff including wiring issues, IE loose connections, rubbed off insulation, etc. Get a good diesel mechanic involved.
I had similar trouble with my 450H. I spent hours troubleshooting to find it was the fuel filter. This sounds to good to be true but all it was that the filter was not installed properly. The previous owner serviced it when I bought it and just didn't get it put on right. They didn't line up the notches on filter so it didn't go far enough up in the filter housing to seal but outer ring was tight. It ran fine but if you shut if off or set for a few days it lost its prime. Hope yours is that simple.
Another simple but easy to over look, is the vent on the fuel cap. This has given me problems before. Loosen the cap to see if there is suction. If it's dirty blow it out with air.
Have seen the fuel cap, have seen more fuel pumps though. I work on alot of Deere engines now in Vermeer equipment and more times than not I find the fuel pump is returning more fuel that using to tank. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the outlet side of the final fuel filter. Then load the engine the fuel pressure should stay to about a positive 5-8 psi. I see alot of pumps goto a negative. I bought a +-30 psi gauge just for checking this issue. I would mention that this is only common on the DE-10 Rotary fuel system deere put on alot of engines. Before changing the injection pump though change the fuel primer pump(transfer pump)
Changed out the pump to no avail. Sent out injection pump to be rebuilt. Will keep you all posted.
I'm glad to hear this makes sense for somebody else. Why isn't it standard operating procedure to check the fuel pressure before going through the fuel filter/pump/lines/tank, or the injection pump? Before or after, so to speak. An old intake vacuum gauge from the days of carburetors usually has a pressure side also, and works good for this test.
I have a Case backhoe that uses the left side loader frame as the fuel tank. Therefore, the tank is three feet tall with most of its capacity at the bottom 6". On a warm engine it doesn't matter, it starts instantly. On a cold engine the tank must be nearly full to start without ether. I've thought of putting on a primer pump, but always keeping the tank nearly full makes me prepared.
I don't have one anymore, yeas ago I had a Tetragauge for hydraulic work, the low pressure gauge would show I believe 30" vacuum for testing pump suction. Worked great on diesel systems also.
Was that the DE-10 Stanadyne pump. Not the high pressure commin rail. If DE-10 I hope you timed the engine and the pump. There is not a key on the shaft of that pump and must be timed.
Br1474 do you work for Vermeere?
Turns out the head and rotor in the pump was worn.
on a DE pump?? HIGHLEY UNLIKELY.. normally the solenoid in the back of the pump.. rebuild and cal is usually around 6... to many "WHAT IFS" to comment knowledgeably..
Vermeer, Yes at a dealership in Indiana