Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

655 john deere

djedmonds ยท 2015-06-28 13:36

How do I get the pin out of the tracks to replace sprocket , just drive it out or is there a pin holding it in , thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1lantraxco2015-06-28 14:12

    If you don't have a split, bolt together master link (alligator) then the master pin will have a dimple machined in each end to identify it. The only thing holding it in is the press fit, you press or drive it out.

  2. #2djedmonds2015-06-28 14:22

    Thanks new to the forum. Can I get an alligator pin to replace the pin, which one is easier to remove in the future? Thanks

  3. #3lantraxco2015-06-28 14:47

    Usually can be done, check the brand marked on the links of your chains. You would have to replace the master link with the split setup and possibly a new master track shoe as sometimes the bolt pattern is different than the rest. If you want to go that route I would highly recommend you have a dealer mechanic or track service outfit with a portable pin press do the job for you. Maybe call your local Deere dealer and get a quote. Pin style: Split link:

  4. #4djedmonds2015-06-28 14:56

    Thanks , bought a 655 for farm use , I'm sure I will learn a lot about the machine , just wanted to change sprockets before we used the machine.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-06-28 15:26

    Deere makes good machines, treat it right it should run just about forever

  6. #6Welder Dave2015-06-29 01:12

    Are you sure it doesn't have a split master link? A 655 seems too new to not have one. What shape are the rails in? If they're really worn, they will wear out a new sprocket a lot faster.

  7. #7lantraxco2015-06-29 02:15

    You could get them either way, as shown in the two parts diagrams I posted, they're actually from the Deere web parts system and for a 655. But yeah, you would hope for a split master for sure. The 650/655 I think was a CAT D4 rail design?

  8. #8djedmonds2015-06-29 11:44

    New sprockets came with the machine, I thought I would change them and operate the machine just to make sure of other problems with machine. I will probably change rails later if no other problems with the machine. Thanks.