I am a DIYer who purchased a John Deere 655b. It was working just fine, and then all of a sudden it stops moving. No loud bangs, major oil leaks, etc. It doesn’t move forward or reverse. Fires up just fine. Any ideas? No manuals were sent with the machine so I have no idea where anything is located either.
Welcome to HEF Silverstang ! If you remove the floor board, are the driveshafts turning?
May also want to check if the brake system is not prematurely applying where will disconnect the drive system if sees braking demand.
Step one: Get the serial number off of your 655B and post it so we know what loader you have. Step two: Go to ebay, get a parts book for a 655B that applies to your serial number. *also get an operation and maintenance manual. (you will use both books many times) Step three: Using the procedure described in the manual the the fluid levels. Step Four: Anybody?
Welcome to HEF CAT ! Unfortunately Silver hasn't posted since 12/1 so we don't know if he has made any progress or not. But I would recommend both the Operator's manual (OMT153081) and the Operation and Test Manual (TM1333).
Today was the first day to look at it since I posted. When I fired it up, the trans oil pressure gauge was low. Since I cannot seem to locate a manual on eBay, I’m hoping you can help me out. I attached some photos where I believe is as well as two sight glasses I see, which do not show any oil in them.
Yes they are
Obviously we need to start with oil in the sight glass. Post a serial number so I can see what the correct oil is supposed to be.
Not sure if this is the serial number (photo attached)
While your operator's manual would say Hygard, that was changed in 2009 to 10W-30 CG-4 engine oil for your serial number. Since then that has been replaced by Deere's Hydrau. So I would fill it with either the latest API 10W-30 or Deere's Hydrau. 10W-30 is probably cheaper cost wise.
Am I right, as far as filling the tank through the “caps” up top behind the cab (photo attached)
Yes, that is where you fill them. Just open them slowly because they might be under pressure since it is not a vented system. The caps should have a groove through the threads so when the plug is part way loose it will relieve the pressure. If not, just loosen the plug up off the o-ring and jiggle the plug until all the pressure escapes.
Thanks! Since I’m not sure what oil is in there now, can I just add oil, or would I have to drain the oil?
Just top off for now with recommended grade. Test load before first figure out where the other went and to make sure do not need deeper work.
Did you ever figure it out having same issue would really appreciate some info