Hi all, long time reader first time poster here. Recently made my latest mistake (hopefully not) in the world of heavy equipment. Picked up a 66’ allis chalmers HD16 to further aid in the construction of a half mile driveway on my lot. From what I’ve gathered so far without the serial number that I believe is covered by the wench I think it’s a later model with a turbo 16000 engine or an earlier model with a later model engine and turbo swapped in. Been slowly picking my way through the dozer starting with a coolant leak, some welding while I was working on an excavator bucket and oil and filter change once the filters show up. Adjusted the brakes and got the steering back online. Planning on topping up the Hyd reservoir that’s nearly empty then running it for a few hours to see if anything more cost prohibitive let’s go on me. Working off some pretty limited info without the serial number from under the wench. Found an operators manual with a lot of good info that seems to mostly match and looked through all the forums on the subject. Anyone familiar with these machines know another location or way to track down what model/generation. Maybe off engine serial number. Chassis didn’t seem to change much through the generations. The undercarriage seems to be older style which leads me to believe the turbo was added after the fact. Could be a concern in regards to high egt’s and melting pistons. Anyway here are some photos. I know it’s rough and parts are gonna be hard to find but hoping if I go easy on it I’ll get enough hours out of it to get this driveway done. Lucked out with an old cat E110b excavator and got about 300 hours on it so far, hoping this goes roughly the same. Maybe I’ll get motivated and pull that wench off to get a look at that serial number sometime soon in the mean time any info on these old AC’s would be greatly appreciated. View attachment IMG_7345.jpeg View attachment IMG_7341.jpeg View attachment IMG_7339.jpeg
Nice dozer. The manifold on yours looks like a 2100AC engine seen on generator.
How’s the undercarriage look? Nice looking older machine.
It could have been modified. The exhaust elbow is not original. It looks in great shape though for a 60's dozer.
Nice find. I've attached a photo of the HD-16 table from Norm Swinford's "bible" on A-C construction machinery which might be helpful, especially if you manage to locate your serial number. Hope this helps.