i have a john deere 690e lc. the machine is experiencing engine stalling when working it to fast. yesterday I was moving the machine. one side failed to move when I changed direction. when I moved the pedal the other way the travel stuck in that direction and stalled the engine. now the engine will not restart acts like the pump is still activated. I can drop the main hydraulic lever in and hold that track pedal. the engine frees up to spin still doesn't start.. track begins to move. are there sensors under the pedals that could be the problem. recently I had the machine washed there was alot of debris around the pedals. any advice will be appreciated!!! thanks, Daniel
You don't have mud and debris under your pedals preventing them from returning to the neutral position do you?
I removed the cover underneath the cab. the levers control a valve block directly. everything seems ok there. somehow the engine has alot of resistance like the pump is preventing it to spin up to start. soo bad that the new starter locked in (hung) had to snatch a wire off. I guess my question is if the main hydruilic lever is disengaged. how could the pump be binding?
would a pedal being engaged and the main lever in disconnect cause the machine to bind at the start ? i never tried to start it with a pedal engaged? I'm thinking about pulling the sevo lines off the main valve. plugging them. any thought on how to disable the travel will be greatly appreciated.
I don’t thinks it’s a pilot / servo issue . Sounds to me like one of the travel control valve spools is jammed in one direction and won’t return to the neutral center position. To disable the travel you could remove the final drive planetary cover on the affected side and pull the sun gear shaft out, *looks like a real PITA to reinstall though * Looping the 2 high pressure hoses together at the upper rotary manifold ports would be easier imo. You have a serial number for the machine ?
Ok, I was able to get back to the machine yesterday. I checked the valve underneath the pedals. Everything looks good. All 4 plungers are returning to center. With the main safety lever in disconnect the engine will bearly spin. If i engage the safety lever and hold any function. It will spin and attempt to start. Except for right track makes no difference when it’s activated. It’s what seemed to stick when the machine stalled. Also it doesn’t move when activated while trying to start. Like the main valve could be stuck. Other thing I found is. The system controller has no lights on it. I’ve checked all fuses in the j box. Any ideas are greatly appreciated
I agree with Diesel Dave one of your travel control valve spools is stuck in its bore.
I’m thinking about disconnecting the pressure line feeding the pilot valve. To check if it’s the problem. Question, can I remove the cap of the main control valve to access the spool?
Also, should I have lights on the system controller. Key on not running?
does anyone have a hydraulic schematic of the valve controlling the travel?
Serial number ? Last six digits if nothing else
Yes
serial # plate is gone from side of cab. is there another location on the machine? I looked purdy good but did not see one. I know it's a 1998 model 690ELC. I,ve decided to order an adapter so I can loop the lines going to travel motor.
The last six digits of the serial number should be stamped into the frame where the serial plate was attached. I’m thinking you have high serial number range. See screenshot of schematic below .
alright, I got back to the machine today. I looped the lines that feed the travel motor together. machine fired right up.. so that tells me something hanging in that spool (right travel). I get no pulse of the hoses when the pedal is activated. does anyone have a breakdown of that valve/ or can tell me is it serviceable by pulling the caps? this machine has an aux. port. I'm thinking about moving the servo lines and motor lines to that spool. just to get the machine back to the lowboy. any advise is greatly appreciated.
This parts break down may not be in your SR# range but should be close Centering springs are on each end of spool possibly one of them is broken that would be in your favor.
For sure it had a stuck plunger in that section. I was able to free it up put the cap back on. Everything functions as it should. In manual mode. Still have no system control. I’ve checked all fuses still no lights on the controller. This controller is fairly new maybe 100 hrs on it. Are there internal fuses or possibly a relay that could case an issue? One thing I did do. When trying to get the engine to run. I used a small wire from battery to injector pump. Just tickled it to hear it click. Fellow in the cab noticed lights on the console when I touched the pump solenoid. Maybe it back feed somehow? Kinda hard to imagine spool valve sticking and system controller failure at the same time.
Machine works ok in manual mode. Except it tracks too fast. Could it be plumbed to track slow?
You could turn in the (4) adjustable spool stops slightly on the (2) travel control valves. Not ideal but you might find a happy medium. Make note of how much you turned them for future reference.
Check for good grounds too. Search the forums, @mg2361 and @Steve Austin have posted about 690E main controller ground issues in the past.