My 690elc starting acting up not that long ago. The dummy light would come one for not enough power so I ended up replacing the alternator cause the one that was on there want the right one. It was from the previous owner. And when that light would come on the different working modes wouldn't work. Like the computer wasnt getting enough power. Well long story short is ended up getting newer batteries to and when a guy working for me hooked them up backwards it really messed it up. Now it doesn't work in any of the. Working modes. So basically none of the electronic controlled hydraulic system is working now. Been running it with the bypass switch on. Which defiantly doesn't seem to be as powerful as it was with working mode. It seems like 60-70% power. I know I should start checking every sensor and wire in the system. But was wondering if anybody could at least point me in the right direction. Is the computer toast now? Its just seems weird when that battery light for low volts came on it wouldn't work at all either. I think its the same issue but the batteries getting hooked up wrong finished off. Any thoughts?
Good luck, we're praying for you! I don't have any expertise with computers, but I'll bet the technical manual will give you directions on how to test that the computer is getting proper voltage and signals, after that, it's time to throw parts at it, like a new computer, sorry. Have you checked fuses? fusible links? not sure there are fusible links, but when somebody hooks up batteries backwards that's where to check first, then follow the voltage. Did you check the voltage before replacing the alternator?
Yes we check everything we could find after that. Problem was didn't know what I needed to check besides just following wires and the obvious relays Ect. It did blow a fuse or two. And we did check the alternator voltage. Or the local John Deere shop did. Guess I should invest in a manual for the machine.
I had a Hitachi (parent) just like it in shop recently that had similar symptoms; no power mode control, etc. Turned out to be the rear half of the console panel had failed. $k later and it was fixed...
Thanks for the reply. I haven't got a chance to take a look at it but I did find a parts machine near by. Also I guess I should add that when it started not working right, it would work fine when the low voltage/battery symbol was not on. But when that light turn on it wouldn't work right. I can't remember if it idle down or not. But it definitely wouldn't move right. Then battery got hooked up and now nothing. And before the batteries were hooked up wrong the travel speed worked while the bypass switch was on. Not sure if I was supposed to, but after that all the mode, idle, travel speed went out. They light up like they are on but nothing happens. And also the battery light that was coming on and off that seemed to be the problem Before batteries got hooked up wrong, has yet to come on again. Should I just throw a new used computer on it? I think I can get one for a 250$. And what else controls those functions that's major?
Hello Jake, I am not familiar with your machine but i have had a lot of experience with this type of problem. You would have to be the luckiest man alive to have reverse polarity on your alternator and not have damaged it. Your alternator needs checking thoroughly because it may have damaged some of the internal diodes in the alternator. It may even still charge at a reduced output but if you continue to use it like that it will burn out the stator winding, and it is a lot cheaper to fix the diodes. Most electronic accessories like radios and two ways etc use a blocking diode internally to prevent damage and usually survive RevPol. From what i have seen most controller cards have voltage sensing components on board and will take a dim view of reverse polarity. I would buy that card for shore if me and 250 sounds cheap. A lot of sensors, stop solenoids, buzzers, Head lights even you name it has electronics internally so you better brace your self as when you get your computer going you may well find a few more casualty's from this along the way. Good Luck.