If you had a choice between a 6N lgp or a 6R xw vpat for grading in the mid west which one would you prefer, and why. Both are GPS ready when I decide to jump into that. Looking to upgrade from a D4H lgp, but keep the D4 for smaller projects. This may have been asked before but I couldn't find it. Thanks.
6R is heavier but both are a big step up from a D4H. Do you need an LGP dozer?
Ya, I'm a little over due to upgrade from the D4. Lgp is preferred for the softer conditions we get into, and stability working on slopes. More wear I understand but I'll give up a little more wear for the stability and floating.
Here's an older thread that may shed some light for you. HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks Welder Dave. Ya, I already have a 6Rxw for heavier work. Maybe I could better ask why the R model was optioned with a vpat when the N with pat blade is available. Is it just a beefier machine for heavier work? Which machine is balanced better or nicer to grade with? Is the N better in tight areas or are they similar?
Didn't know you already have a 6R XW so you probably know more than I do. Not sure what your odd questions are for since you already own one of the dozers you're asking about.
My 6R has a semi u blade, not the best finishing blade. My question is, 6R with a pat blade machine compared to a 6n pat blade machine? Thanks
You should give all the info at the start so people have all the details. I think the thread I posted has some good info. The Cat dealer could probably be a big help too.
Your right Welder Dave, I should have given more info, I just didn't think it was important since I was just wanting a comparison of the two machines for grading. Dealers are bias and don't have first hand knowledge like someone who has run both machines. I have always valued everyone's knowledge on here way higher than any dealer with an agenda. And asking a dealer about older models, I get the "that's so old we don't remember, it will push dirt that's all you need attitude" I apologise that I have negative attitude towards the dealer, I've just never had a good experience with one to be helpful in purchasing equipment for my company's size. The thread you posted was helpful but I need more information yet. Thanks
They are both Cat machines. Cat has more research, development and application information than anyone. They have experts that deal specifically with what machine would be the best for your application(s). Also the reason they have various models of D6's. The machines you're looking at aren't that old. Give the dealer a chance before brushing them off. A good salesman would be able to help you and/or put you in touch with who could.
I would think for finish and semi heavy digging the 6N with Vapt would be better. The 6R has more weight and power... may not be the best for a Vpat blade, that's why most have the semi U.
I spent thousands of hours on dozers with both style blades. I did mostly finish work. The vpat was my favorite because of it's versatility. If you can, rent or have dealer let you try one. You will know what I mean by versatility, especially if you do much ditch work.
Thanks for everyone's input, I ended up going with a 2011 D6N lgp. I figured this would fit my needs the best.
Good choice Bullcat ! Any photos of it available ?