Hey guys I’d like some input. The company I work for has started doing dirt work. They specifically hired me to run their dirt machines, more specifically the D4. When I initially hired on with these guys, they told me the majority of the dirt work they do is for a custom home builder building home pads and such, but want to get into more heavy work(clearing, pond building, some oilfield, ect.). They were talking about selling the D4 and upgrade to a 6R so we would have a ripper machine, but I subsequently talked them out of that, as the 4 is better for the finish work over the 6, and since we are going to continue the pad work the 4 is better suited. I suggested still getting a 6R, as the machine weight would be more than enough for a ripper machine, and it’s an overall good machine for clearing. After searching the interwebs, I found a few good machines that I took to them for consideration, all of which they liked. Up until today I thought we were on the same page, but they came to me saying they were thinking about buying a 6M/N. Now in my opinion, the 6M/N is too light for the kind of work they want to do with it, and the PAD blade isn’t the best for pushing big dirt. The only advantage I see to the M/N is the ability to have a heavier finish machine, but with them already having the 4, two dozers with PAD’s seems like a waste. What do y’all think?
i think you are right , but i would look at where you are going to be moving it 6r is lot harder to move , i have always used a d5h and 5b just because of 10 foot blade and if you keep on bed of trailer in alabama dont have to escort it and they are stright blades. they are as big as old 6 c n and m 6r is a old 7g and even cat has changed numbers now. just depends what you are going to do and where you have to move it country roads are not getting biger just more cars on them.
Size wise a 6r is bigger then a 6m and its a smudge bigger the a 6n as far as my observation is.
As I recall the M and N machines are the same with differences in the electronics packages. A 6R is a bigger machine. I have seen the R series machines with PAT blades used to decent effect as finish dozers when everything on the blade and C frame are tight. Straight blade machines are less common around here than the PAT machines.