Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

72 CASE 450 DOZER RUNNING HOT

born2ride ยท 2024-08-29 11:27

Hello, The issue is when pushing dirt the temp climbs up to about 220 and start pushing coolant out, I have replaced the cap, and it still does it. There is no thermostat in the dozer. ,tracks are clean of debris. Not sure about the fan operation as it pushes air through radiator toward blade. I am in the automotive field as a tech I found that odd it pushes air through verse pulling. Is this normal on this unit? I forgot to looks at tranny temp when this was happening. Looking for some input on fan and other reasons it may be running hot I have not though of. TIA

Replies9
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-08-29 11:31

    normal for fan you need a thermostat to help keep it cool pull grill and wash out radiator fins

  2. #2born2ride2024-08-29 11:41

    I will was out radiator fins tonight. where would you recommend getting parts besides a case dealer or is it recommend use oem?

  3. #3Tinkerer2024-08-31 08:00

    Look in the radiator through the filler opening for solder bloom encircling the tubes. It quite often restricts coolant flow and will cause overheating.

  4. #4Reuben ingalsbe2024-08-31 09:19

    HeavyEquipmentForums This is a thread I started when my 450 was overheating. Good advice in there. It turned out to be a near completely plugged radiator.

  5. #5born2ride2024-09-10 10:41

    Thank you! I am going to check my fan as i had it off a few years back and maybe installed it incorrectly. I assumed if it was backwards that it pull not push! But I read it will not do that just have incorrect air flow.

  6. #6Tinkerer2024-09-10 13:40

    They don't move as much air when installed backwards.

  7. #7born2ride2024-09-11 09:13

    Ok Is it save to saw the its blowing the coolant on to blade then fan is on correctly?

  8. #8born2ride2025-04-02 17:53

    I am finally back on this issue of running hot in summer temps, I have replaced the thermostat, checked fan operation , washed out radiators fins, I sent the rad out to fix a crack and to be flushed a 5 years ago. This is a new problem with in the past couple of years. I only use it once in awhile but need it to work when I do. lol The coolant has always been clean with a of mixed 50/50 using distilled water since I have known this machine. I have no coolant in oil or oil in coolant. I read another post for a case 450 that mentioned Fuel injection timing can contribute to overheating. I have never had the pump off , can they slip out of time? Is there an easy what to check correct timing to rule it out? At the end of year I was running out of fuel due to crap in tank, Meanwhile I have cleaned this tank a few times already throughout the years of owning. I would drain tank, removed the large cap on bottom,wipe out a good amount of brownish sediment, then use some emery cloth to removed any scale, brake clean out tank again, wipe dry and refill also keeping tank full and used additive yet this brownish slug comes back, I have always made sure quality clean fuel goes in my machines since making that mistake one time only!! Any thought of how to clean tank? I was think of using coke cola or vinegar. Could lack of fuel volume cause lean condition and make run hot? If so How can I verify this? Would trans temps cause this issue? I noticed my gauge stopped working. It was a newer VDO gauge I put in when I got machine Lastly is converter psi normal in video? TIA

  9. #91978case2025-04-02 19:56

    Check that temp differential going into the top of the radiator and then check the temp at the bottom. Best to use infrared to keep away from moving parts!