Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’73 jd 410 turn over but no start after jumpin starter

daywelding ยท 2011-08-27 17:52

hey guys, new here. I just bought a 410, pretty solid machine. I'm an amateur mechanic at best, and was fixing the lights on it when I thought I accidentally jumpered across the starter because the backhoe fired up. I went and turned the key off only to find the starter still spinning out of control, so after I got my cutters dug out of my pocket I clipped the power wire and killed it. Apparently 3 wires had rubbed the coating off and arked together. I spliced the wires and taped everything up, but now it won't turn over with the start button. I checked all wires were good, pulled back tape under cap and checked. I even pulled the starter button and jumpered the wires on it with no luck. Ignition switch maybe? I don't know how to check that. It will turn over if I jumper the starter but doesn't seem to want to try and start.

Replies7
  1. #1chroniekon2011-08-27 19:08

    I would suspect something to do with the wiring to the fuel shut off valve. I have the manual for a 310 of the same vintage with an electrical drawing. I would be happy to post it here if someone can tell me how.

  2. #2daywelding2011-08-27 19:26

    I should have put it won't start with the start button still. it only turns over if I jumper it. I bypassed the start button and the result is the same, nothing. that's why i'm wondering if the ignition is bad and not letting it start even jumping the starter.

  3. #3chroniekon2011-08-27 20:21

    If you have a volt meter or test light there are a few things to check . Keep in mind I am just looking at a drawing in a manual so I don't know what things look like pysically on your machine. Also, it's a 310 manual but should be close to a 410 I think. The first thing on a safety note, make sure it's in neutral or park in case it decides to start up on it's own again. There is a brown wire that feeds the key (ignition) switch that should be hot (12 volts) all the time. If that checks out, find the wire that goes from the key switch to the start button, that wire should have voltage when the key is on and no voltage when the key is off. That same teminal on the key switch that sends power to the start switch also sends power to the fuel shut off solenoid. Check to see if you have power at this solenoid when the key is on. If all that checks out, the start button sends power to the neutral/park safety switch (a black wire). The machine has to be in park or neutral for voltage to get past this switch. From there power goes to the 's' terminal on the starter solenoid (a white wire).

  4. #4daywelding2011-08-28 09:47

    nice, I am going to try that all here in a second. I have to strip the casing back on the wires, at some point all the wires got sprayed yellow except where it was cased.

  5. #5ijoker2011-08-29 13:26

    I had a similar experience with my 580b. Was hooking up the lights when at one point i started the engine and the starter kept running. I pulled the kill switch and turned the key off but the starter kept going. I had the battery compartment open so i quikly disconnected the battery. It was baffling me what caused it :beatsme when i finally looked at my alternator and the connector on it was right up against the frame of the machine and one of the wires was burned almost in two. No idea how that affected the starter. But after fixing that wire and clearing it from the frame, everything worked fine. Just wanted to share that. Electrical problems can sometimes be real hard to troubleshoot and sometimes it may take just some little thing that somebody mentioned to get the mind thinking. ointhead Good luck. Joe

  6. #6daywelding2011-08-30 10:39

    well whatever the problem was may be unknown, I got busy on another job and had a mechanic friend come look at it. He wiggled all the gear sticks and the forward/reverse stick, and it starts all the time now. He is thinking maybe the neutral safety just got stuck. I appreciate all the help though!!

  7. #7DirtIsMyName2011-08-30 12:36

    If you did not fix the problem it will likely do the same thing again, be ready.