Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

735 Failed Transmission Fill Calibration

Chrisso · 2023-02-11 08:34

Early 735, AWR008** s/n Customer replaced modulation solenoids and called me to carry out fill calibration. Previous history, had a trans filter come apart and contaminate the system, then about the same time one morning machine lost all drive in all gears. Worth noting since replacing oil, filter and all modulation solenoids, we now have drive again. Customer reports trans oil pan being clean, suction screen clean also. I attempt calibration, calibration aborted due to trans oil temp too high. Replaced trans temp sensor, same again. Did some digging, to meet calibration start conditions the oil needs to be between 154 and 174 deg F. Sis states calibration automatically aborts once trans temp hits 180 deg F. Can't understand why there's such a narrow temperature range for trans fill calibrations on these machines. Anyone else had this issue?

Replies35
  1. #1Nige2023-02-11 10:19

    Seems crazy on the face of it. Have you tried dumping the trans temp sensor in a bucket of hot water.? That should effectively fool the ECM.

  2. #2Mobiltech2023-02-11 12:20

    Yes I have had the problem and also cursed the software limitation on temp. It was years ago but I think I started on the low side and managed to get it done. Did you check for a possible software update?

  3. #3Nige2023-02-11 12:28

    I've seen that before on loaders. Despite the fact that the message on the ET screen gives a minimum temperature for the oil before a calibration will commence you can often find it will start at a lower temp if you slowly bring the temp up from cool and keep trying to start the calibration.

  4. #4Chrisso2023-02-11 17:32

    Sure did, put the latest software in it. Parameters didn’t change. Im thinking I’ll have another go starting from the lowest temp possible. Failing that I’ll try the bucket of hot water as you suggested Nige.

  5. #5Nige2023-02-11 18:44

    I've had good luck with that in the past. Start with the trans temp well below the lower limit and just keep pushing the "calibrate" button until it starts the process. You might get lucky and the process will start below the temperature it's supposed to. The other option of course is to hook up a PWM generator to the transmission oil temperature sensor connector and use it to dial in a signal to the powertrain ECM that is bang in the middle of the range you want. Happy daze.......... As a side note, about how long was the calibration running before it fell over with the "temp too high" message.?

  6. #6Chrisso2023-02-11 23:41

    2nd clutch into the calibration. I let it go about mid way into the temp range before I started the cal, simply because I’ve battled to keep temperature in the transmission on other machines. Not this one it seems . Will try again as you suggested tomorrow.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2023-02-12 00:31

    Is the trans oil temp sender a 3 wire resistor with the signal somewhere between a 5v reference and ground, or similar? Maybe a pair of fixed resistors temporarily installed so that the module thinks it is 164 degrees the whole time?

  8. #8Nige2023-02-12 09:18

    It’s a PWM unfortunately.

  9. #9Nige2023-02-12 09:19

    I wonder if, with everything that has gone on in the past as described in your OP, that there is something amiss with that clutch.?

  10. #10Chrisso2023-02-19 07:15

    Well, I reckon you're right And I was wrong, I mustn't have cycled the battery isolator for long enough. The new software meant the 180 deg F abort was no longer applicable. So, i returned the next day and repeated the fill calibration, this time it failed on the last clutch in the process (clutch # 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)... This time the transmission got warm. From what I understand the 0009 error code can be caused by two things: 1) unstable TC and/or trans output speed sensor signals (which seem fine), 2) too many iterations (40+) calibrating a particular clutch... which makes me highly suspect slipping clutches and would explain the high temps during calibration. So customer being customer they sent it ... truck made two passes before losing all drive and reported "a lot of smoke". My thoughts, the reason the filter came apart was due to excessive moisture/water in the transmission oil. Since they don't use SOS and changed the oil before I got there we'll never know. That water I'm also guessing has destroyed multiple clutch discs.

  11. #11Nige2023-02-19 10:20

    If there are cellulose-faced clutch plates anywhere in that transmission it's highly likely. Refer to Reusability Guidelines SEBF8115, 8031, & 8098 for more info............

  12. #12Chrisso2023-11-02 06:59

    Turns out clutch #1 was toast. Piston, discs & plates melted. System cleanout, transmission rebuilt, calibration passed and back to work.

  13. #13Nige2023-11-02 07:30

    Difficult to do diagnostics when the customer won't do the necessary (as in SOS, filter cuts, etc) and/or co-operate.

  14. #14Chrisso2023-11-02 18:28

    And the decision to run the machine one last time after the failed cal only added about 20% more to the repair bill, which I thought was good!

  15. #15Nige2023-11-03 05:43

    Ho ***king yas........ But customers such as that will never learn which is why there's always work. You only have to look at the thread posted by @Vetech63 - it's now up to 136 pages....!!

  16. #16Chrisso2023-11-03 17:56

    I'm scared I'll get stuck reading all 136 of them.

  17. #17nicky 68a2024-02-18 05:36
  18. #18Nige2024-03-27 08:55

    Unfortunately not. The output of the sensor is a PWM signal.

  19. #19Bjoel2025-05-30 19:49

    transmission clutch went out, fully rebuild the transmission and currently trying to do a transmission fill calibration, and fails due to transmission clutch one at its limit code 1035 any ideas?

  20. #20Nige2025-05-30 20:04

    Would you like to start with a machine Serial Number.? A little more information might be a good idea. How about a list of what parts went into it.?

  21. #21Bjoel2025-05-30 20:24

    Yess I apologize B1N00877 735 articulated truck initial problem was that the truck was not moving when you placed it in gear so I checked my pressures for transmission oil pump and there was no pressure so I removed the transmission and found out that the transmission oil pump failed and burnt all clutches on clutch # 1 so I replaced every single clutch in the transmission and every single O-ring and seals I also replaced the transmission oil cooler and every single of the clutch solenoids.

  22. #22Bjoel2025-05-30 21:24

    Now I’m trying to calibrate the clutches and I keep getting the code 1035 clutch #1 is at a limit

  23. #23Nige2025-05-30 21:28

    Good that you replaced the clutch solenoid valves. Not many people do. I don't see any new speed sensors on that list. Also one of the speed sensors ia adjustable IIRC. Is it set correctly.? what the calibration is looking for is subtle changes in transmission speed sensor readings compared to the engine speed sensor reading. If the engine speed sensor is off it could throw the calibration off.

  24. #24Nige2025-05-31 08:27

    Did you test the transmission with shop air after rebuilding it to ensure the clutch pistons were moving.? Could you possibly have a stuck piston on the #1 clutch.?

  25. #25Chrisso2025-05-31 17:52

    The big question is, does the calibration still pass with the "at a limit" message? Also does it still shift ok after being rebuilt and are clutch pressures ok? If the answer is yes to all of the above run the machine and repeat calibration at the next service. Edit: latest software helps too if it doesn't already have it.

  26. #26Nige2025-05-31 19:15

    I’ve seen that with torque converter impeller clutches. Provided it works there’s no reason not to run the machine and just keep trying to run the calibration. You only mention #1 clutch failing to calibrate. Did it calibrate all the other clutches successfully.?

  27. #27Bjoel2025-05-31 19:56

    no calibration will no pass and yess the machine runs just fine all pressure ok and that’s exactly what the computer says as I’m running machine around all solenoids are functioning right as I’m going through the gears yes it’s only clutch one. It runs clutches number 6 , 2 ,3 , 4, 5 then 1 and just fails at the end

  28. #28Chrisso2025-06-01 20:36

    The "at a limit" message is frustrating because there's no way to tell at which limit it's tripping at (clutches too new/thick or too worn/thin/slipping). If clutches are too new/thick, that is most likely after a rebuild, if it was rebuilt properly. Sounds ridiculous I know, which is why transmission software becomes important. I know first hand there has been improvements to the calibration procedure as per my previous posts. Any way to find out what software versions you have from the display monitor? I can't remember off the top of my head.

  29. #29Nige2025-06-01 22:01

    He has ET. He can download a Product Status Report which will contain the software Part Numbers for all the ECMs on the machine.

  30. #30Bjoel2025-06-02 08:44
  31. #31Bjoel2025-06-02 08:44

    That’s the latest update

  32. #32Bjoel2025-06-02 10:23
  33. #33Nige2025-06-02 10:47

    You are correct. So that answers that question. To expand a bit on what @Chrisso said above. Most people would expect that the "transmission clutch 1 at a limitr" message is as a result of excessive wear. This is not necessarily the case. With a recently-rebuilt transmission if the disc/plate stack in a particular clutch is "a bit on the thick side" as a result of tolerance stack-ups then the change in output RPM expected by the software as it ramps up the pressure behind the clutch piston happens faster than expected. It can't cope with that - outside expected parameters. Therefore it gives the same "at a limit" message that it would do with a badly worn clutch. Not exactly helpful for the technician who is trying to do the calibration. Earlier I mentioned the Product Status Report. if you have not come cross it before it is a useful document to have as future reference whenever you go back to a particular machine. A lot of dealers have a requirement to download a copy pre-repair and another copy post-repair to act as evidence for what was done. See this VIDEO for more information. Hint: It is best to download a copy in pdf format then it can be read by anyone. The default xml version needs ET installed on the computer in order to read it.

  34. #34Bjoel2025-06-02 20:40

    so I Rechecked the transmission oil pump pressure and the gauge read 300psi low idle and 340psi on high idle SIS says that the pressure should be @ 340 psi low idle and 370 psi and high idle so I adjusted the hydraulic pressure valve, that sends more pressure to your torque converter and ups the pressure on the transmission oil pump then ran the transmission fill calibration and it passed. Bottom line always double check your pressures, pressures should be really close or dead on if not that could be enough to not send pressure to your piston Thank you guys for the feedback and help !!

  35. #35Chrisso2025-06-03 06:28

    Excellent result in the end.