Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

740 B1P Thrust bearing faliure

ship 660 ยท 2017-01-23 11:21

So I have a 740 B1P S/N that ate the rear thrust bearing to pieces. Anyone know if the torque converter can put too much pressure on crank and cause this? I dont want to repair and have the same problem.

Replies6
  1. #1Cmark2017-01-23 16:03

    I take it that's the rear thrust bearing? That definitely shouldn't happen and I would be looking at the torque converter if it were mine. I notice that there's an updated torque converter input shaft for this machine. Cat doesn't say exactly what the failure mode is, but the new shaft has modified bolt holes that retain the torque converter. It's easy to see that a failure in the area of the bolt holes would allow the torque converter to move towards the engine.

  2. #2ship 6602017-01-24 09:05

    Thanks for the reply Cmark. I was looking on SIS to see if there might be a reason for putting undue pressure on the crankshaft. I didn't see the update input shaft but now that I know one is available I will look for it

  3. #3ship 6602017-02-06 11:22

    Problem solved. Input shaft in torque converter was broken at end of bolt holes. Thanks Cmark for the heads up on the input shaft update.The dealer wasn't aware of it either until I showed them the service update from SIS.

  4. #4ship 6602017-02-14 17:36

    got some pics of the broken shaft. Also had some other parts damaged when it broke. cleaned everything measured all parts and reassembled. Ready to install hopefully this weekend.

  5. #5Nige2017-02-14 19:29

    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of damage a component can sustain and still function .........

  6. #6ship 6602017-02-14 19:37

    I agree Nige. No noise, vibration, or any reason to suspect a problem until the engine went south. After checking thrust bearings knew there had to be a reason for that much pressure on back of crank.