Hello, I am working with a 2015 745C, and am needing to monitor my dump cycles. Basically, we have a GPS tracking device on all of our equipment, and we are wanting to send an alarm (or signal) every time a load is dumped. Normally, the gps hardware will tie into a line that is normally 0v. When the dump cycle is started, that line will go up to 12v or 24v. That increase in voltage (or that line going high) is the "trigger" we are looking for. I have the Caterpillar SIS software, and am looking at the schematics. (Attached to this post). Should I be looking at the "Hoist Raise Solenoid" or should I be looking at the signal wire under the joystick? Thanks for you input!
From the diagram, the signal coming out of the joystick is likely digital which won't do what you want. If you tie into anything there I would think you would get a pulse every time the button gets bumped, which may or may not be accurate. How about a hall effect sensor on the bed itself back near the hinge point which would actually sense the bed being at or near it's maximum dump angle? Just a thought.
Thanks for your input. I was worried that the signal line would be digital, I just have not found any way to confirm that. Regarding the hall effect sensor -- This would work just fine, but I am trying not to have anything outside of the cab. I am hopeful that I can find a line inside the cab that I can splice into, but it isnt looking good. Tommy
Sorry, was thinking dump truck, not loader... but hoist is up and down, yes, not bucket tilt?
You were correct. This is a dump truck http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/n...three-axle-articulated-trucks/1000001291.html I couldn't find any other items in the schematics that sounded like a term used for the dump cycle, only hoist raise and lower.
Well, that was my first thought but then you posted it in the wheel loader section and there is a 745C loader, lol. Might want to try the "Other Earthmoving Equipment" section. Have a meander through the operator's manual see if there isn't a light or buzzer that powers up when the bed is lifted, that might be just the ticket?
hi, you might be able to tap into the signal from the body up position sensor. it is hall effect which means it is a on/off magnetic switch .you could tap into the sensor wire at the ECM at cab this may or may not work because the ECM monitors this circuit and could log a fault just a thought only
Why don't you just add your own whisker switch that will signal when the bed is up and dumping.
Thank you for the thoughts... Regarding the Whisker Switch, I am worried that this will be too sensitive in this environment. Too much rock, dirt, and mud. Very rough terrain where this vehicle is operated. The body up position sensor is a thought. I am looking through my schematics to try and find the location, but not having any luck. Do you know where this wire is located (color and label?) or where in the schematics it would be located? Thanks for your help!
use the ejector sensor circuit
If you have a fleet of few CAT 745C dump trucks (serial ## LFK...) - just an advice: better get your local dealer to have new transmission in their warehouse. I wouldn't purchase it yourself, because CAT haven't found solution yet, but out of 3 brand new water trucks we have - 2 failed (one in about 2000 hrs, 2nd in 1300 hrs). The new transmission CAT air-freighted by warranty - cannot get it working, 8 days so far they are still working on it. In civilized world this might be easier, but we are in West Africa.
I'm with Mark. At least the body up sensor uses battery voltage for power. The hoist raise and lower solenoids are porportional type and will be monitored by the machine electronics. If you try to splice anything into those circuits you may well find the machine throwing up all sorts of diagnostic codes because the resistance of the circuit will have changed. If you have SIS then I suggest to work your way through the Systems Operation for the hydraulic system. It includes text on the functions of the dump body position sensor and will likely answer all your questions. An alternative suggestion would be to install a simple pressure switch in the hoist system (probably on the control valve somewhere) that closes when the cylinder lines are pressurized, maybe a 1000psi switch. That way you could wire the switch input with 24V and at the output as detected by the GPS system you would see either 0 or 24V which is exactly what you're looking for.