Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

753 hydraulics leaking down???? Sources??

753 user ยท 2009-06-03 09:58

Ok heres the deal, I picked up a 98 bobcat 753 with 1200hrs. Overall the machine is in good shape. The other day I noticed that when you lift the bucket with or without a load it will slowly leak down. For example, you can lift the bucket 5-6ft off the ground and let it sit with the machine off and after about 30min the bucket will be sitting on the gound. Also, with a bucket full of gravel it doesnt hold a curl long at all so I know its not just the two cylinders on the arms, its also the bucket to. Where do I start? Is there a check valve that could have trash in it? The fluid is full and doesnt leak anywhere. Or is the pump just going bad? Im new to these things at least the hydraulic system. Another thing, when sitting still with the rpms up when you lower the bucket it doenst raise the front of the machine but maybe 2-3 in , it will push the arms up instead. Is this normal? thanks for any input.

Replies6
  1. #1cps2009-06-03 12:32

    It sounds to me like you need to reseal the lift rams and the bucket ram! just unlucky i'd say!

  2. #2Cal Blacksmith2009-06-03 12:53

    Is it leaking oil? (EDIT: I just saw that you said it was not leaking oil) I had a hose get a small leak in it one time on my '99 763 and it would go down in a couple of hours, you could hear it creak every now and then as it went down. Another time, the seals in the control valve were leaking and it did the same thing. Both times I was leaking oil and the location of the leaks were fairly easy to spot. The seals in the control valve are easy to replace but you do need to be extra careful about being clean. A shop manual really helps with working on these guys. I am not sure about your question on lowering the arms. I can't figure out what you are saying. In what way do the arms lift up? If the bucket is angled down and you lower the arms, you should lift the machine until you run out of down movement on the arms. There is a spring detent under the arm peddle, if you push the top of the peddle hard with the bucket flat on the ground, it will go over the detent and this allows the arms to free float for spreading out dirt etc. This is a really handy feature as you are not fighting the machine as it moves up and down over the hills of dirt behind you, the arms just float while you are dragging the edge of the bucket, smoothing the path as you go. Don't ever go forward with a bucket down and the arms in free float, you could damage your machine or so says the operators manual. Congrats on the machine, I am sure you will love it!

  3. #3753 user2009-06-03 13:18

    defiantly doesnt have any leaks that I can find. I thought I had found the problem with a leak hose but turns out it was just the drain off the oil pan. Other than that, Ive looked over all hoses and there arent any leaks I can see. How hard is it to re seal all the cylinders?

  4. #4skidsteer.ca2009-06-03 20:02

    Could be seals in one or both lift rams (or tilt cylinder if it leaks down too) or the load checks in the control valve. Rams are more likely. Unhook the hose and hook you air compressor up to one side and look for air coming out the opposite hose port. There should be none, test both cylinders to find if one or both need repacked. If they pass the tests then it likely load check or a external leak you have not found yet. Ken

  5. #5753 user2009-06-09 09:09

    Thanks, Guess Ill pull the cylinders off and repack them pretty soon. I just noticed yesterday one of them is making a creaking sound now so I guess its time. I found this so hopefully its all I need. http://www.loaderpartssource.com/bocbat-lift-cylinder-seal-kit.html

  6. #6druff19692009-07-05 11:00

    I have a new holland lx465 the bucket will only drift open. It don't drift close will hold it's own wieght and boom don't drift at all. only the bucket drifts open. Would this mean the bucket cylinders need resealed?