So, I have a 2001 753G with 471 hours. It has been getting more noisy when turning or starting movement. Pulled the main belt cover and it is a bit greasy, so are the pulleys. It is the original belt but seams to be in good shape. My first thought was the tensioner was out, but it seems to be adjusted ok and no tensioner bearing noise at idle. Before I go to the trouble of replacing the main belt has anyone tried pulling and cleaning the main belt and pulleys to get rid of the whiney sound? Looks to me that the fan pulley bearing has a slight leak and has dripped on the rear pulley, I checked the fluid level in the fan pulley housing and it was down just a smidge, nothing that worries me. I hate to replace the belt if it is just dirty and they are not cheap. closest dealer is about 70 miles away. Thanks for any help!
that tensioner has a "clock spring" built into it. are you sure the tensioner was set ? belt stretches and the tensioner will get loose over time. a 13 year old belt is probably dry rotted by now....
The pointer was set to about 2:30. I ordered a new belt but got the wrong one so I cleaned the pulley's and belt and reinstall. Your right the inside of the belt had a few cracks in it. So I've reordered a new one. I couldn't get the pointer to move when I reinstalled the old belt, pryed on it with a 2 foot bar, pb blaster on the clock spring, and still couldn't get it to move. So..... I reinstalled it as tight as I could, while I pulled on the pry bar I had my daughter tighten down the tensioner hold bolt. got it as tight as I can. When I checked it with visually it looked about right, compared to the many serpentine belts that I've installed on cars and trucks. Worked the machine for about 3 hours with no problems. Fella on another blog suggested a longer bar. I have the feeling that the tensioner is frozen, bearing seems ok and rolls just fine, but cant get the bearing to slip on the tensioner frame so there is no spring action on the belt. Guess I'll have to check the belt tension occasionally! Any suggestions on how to get the bearing loosened up on the tensioner frame?
with the bolt loose, ( but just snug on the tensioner mount) use the prybar to put tension on the mount, and tap the pulley with a hammer. thats usually enough of a shock to get the spring to wind itself up :drinkup
I had one in the shop last week (machine was overheating at times due to the fan belt slipping at higher rpm's) and don't care for that particular tensioner setup. Could have been a better design, imo. I bought a new pulley (needed it) and spring, and then added another stretchy spring (light to medium tension) that assists in adding tension to the belt.