Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

763 OTT”S questions

mrbb ยท 2016-02-15 11:53

OK I am looking at picking up a 1999 yr model 763 its on tires now, but I need a skid steer with tracks due to the hills and uneven ground at the site I was it for(a hunting camp property) has anyone ever owned or used a 763 on tracks any pro's or cons to using them on this model?? any feed back would be appreciated I have very little time in a skid steer but the price is right and I know the machine was well cared for, and there NOT easy to find in this manor! so, Thanks in advance,

Replies7
  1. #1Todd v.2016-02-15 12:54

    They work well. I have the grouser style tracks for my 763. You will want a spacer to stop the arms from coming all the way back down or the track may contact the bottom of the arms when pushing dirt. I have a pic but it's at home so you can see how they fit. I'll try and remember to post it up.

  2. #2mrbb2016-02-15 14:22

    thanks, any known weak links in the 763's it has just 1800 hrs and one owner and garage kept this will be my first skid steer so any info would be appreciated

  3. #3Todd v.2016-02-15 19:25

    763s Are simple and dependable and will run a long time with a little care. The main weakness is in the arm design, with a single tilt cylinder the arm takes a lot of stress and can crack but it's not a big deal if it does and can be welded back up. They are a bit light up front for digging in hard dirt but a heavier or toothed bucket helps a lot. These track weigh close to 1k pounds so they help as well.

  4. #4mrbb2016-02-15 22:43

    thanks again it right now has a HD tooth bucket on it I Only need it for moving dirt from one spot to another and to spread gravel for a drive way so the tooth bucket I am actually planning to remove and replace with a non tooth one, as It will also be used to move snow on a dirt gravel driveway! I see them teeth just making more work for me LOL Hoping to get this this week if possible if time and weather allows as been super cold and snowing last two days here!

  5. #5Jeepwalker2016-02-16 09:35

    Might want to keep the toothed bucket around, there's going to come a day (probably several) when you want/need the toothy!! Regular dirt buckets are pretty easy to find for your size skid, tooth buckets are another matter.

  6. #63X82016-02-16 10:25

    If you plan on using OTT in the winter on hills, some of them are like having ice skates on.

  7. #7mrbb2016-02-16 11:29

    thanks again as for the toothed bucket, I do plan to keep it as my next door neighbor also has a 753 , and we are pretty friendly, so having it could help us both out maybe down the road. As for OTT"s in winter time, no I think I would only want them on for summer work, in winter time I don't need to get down the hills at all HOWEVER, I do know my neighbor once last winter went down one on just wheels and couldn't get back up on tires not even close he was lucky there is a old logging road he was able to make a path and get out, or he might have been stuck down there till spring time LOL that's the only worry I have more or less about this property is it has hills and some side hills that need to be traveled to get to parts of the property I plan to be working in I originally was looking for a pure tracked machine, but, al them I have looked at seem to have been beat silly and asking a TON for them in my area this is a hobbie project, so NOT making me any money, and will I expect take me about 2-3 yrs to finish working on it as free time and funds allow thus why I don't want to rent a machine, or might be a better route if only needed a little but since I don't always know when time is free'd up to be there having a machine on site seems like the best option and maybe selling it when I am done although I gather like most things, you buy with plans of getting rid of, you end up keeping , as they tend to have more use's than expected haha!