Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

772GP transmission problem

raymond donovan · 2022-10-13 09:54

1400 hrs. on new JD 772GP. my local dealership updated my machine at 1200 hrs. Since the update, the computer will not remember information entered under “machine setup”. more specifically, launch gear selection. Even though I select third gear as my lunch gear both forward and reverse, it randomly chooses a gear between one and four. this all happened after they “updated” my machine in the spring. Not a big deal, but you never know how fast you’re going to “launch” in. The John Deere service guys drove the machine, confirm there is an issue. Unfortunately there’s no fix. They told me tough luck, learn to live with it. This is a brand new machine and I am disappointed in the way they’re handling this. We have nine of these Machines buzzing around our county. This is the only one with issues. The uppers at John Deere Are being super evasive. They don’t know what to do to fix the problem either. my local dealership is doing all they can to try to come up with a fix. They tell me they have spoken to the IT department at John Deere, and we’re told not to mess with it, that this would save the transmission from damage. ???? This tells me they have no idea what the problem is or care to understand the issue… Have Any of you 672 or 772GP owners experience this issue?

Replies9
  1. #1Welder Dave2022-10-13 13:55

    We're there any issues before the update or a reason for the update? JD should definitely be fixing it and if it's going to take awhile provide another machine. Hopefully it doesn't turn into something like Cat 150 grader thread.

  2. #2Vetech632022-10-13 14:28

    Were the other graders updated the same way with no issues?

  3. #3raymond donovan2022-10-13 21:17

    Not sure what update it was. I do know they can keep track of the machine hours, engine codes etc. And occasionally update the machine. it is very disappointing, they’ve always been really good with the graders. This is just a hunch, but the service tech that came out to supposedly update the grader was very young, like right out of Tech school. He came back the second and third time but couldn’t fix the problem, not even recognize there was one…. eventually the Service manager came out and verified the issue. There were no issues with the road grader before the update. No other graders in the county have this issue after update. I talked today with the rep from John Deere and they are working on a way to reset the computer, but in his words…” don’t hold your breath”… Winter is just around the corner and I’m hoping they will come up with a fix before then.

  4. #4mg23612022-10-14 05:00

    Post a machine serial number. From that I might be able to see what updates were done. Did they try to flash the software again. Sometimes a software update can get corrupted for a variety of reasons, especially if it done remotely. I usually start by dumping the payload off my laptop, download a fresh payload, and flash the controller again. Sometimes that works, sometimes is does not.

  5. #5raymond donovan2022-10-14 08:46

    It sounds like you know more then anyone i’ve spoken with so far….

  6. #6mg23612022-10-15 05:13

    Your machine shows that it has all the latest software. There is no history of the transmission controller being programmed, either remotely or hardwired according to Service Advisor. However, there is a warranty work order from August (description is for a different issue than what you have now) that the technician says in his service report that he updated all the controllers. Since I cannot see it, he probably programmed without associating the work to a Job with a specific serial number (that would not corrupt a file by the way). Just prevents other technicians from seeing what was done. The only history I see is a failed attempt at a remote engine software update back in June. If it were me, I would have someone flash the TCU software and the PDU software again just in case one of them is corrupted causing your issue. If that does not work, then the dealer needs to open a DTAC case to try a get the issue resolved.

  7. #7raymond donovan2022-10-15 08:53

    Wow.... You have provided so much more info then these guys! I will take this information to them "in case" they havent thought of these things. (I will keep my sources anonymous). I will post any progress. Thank You!

  8. #8raymond donovan2022-10-15 09:31

    To follow up….there is no record of this issue in Service advisor? I will suggest they flash the TCU and the PDU and try to get more information as far as what they’ve done and are doing. This is in-valuable information! I wish our John Deere service department had you on the case. thank you! updates to follow….

  9. #9mg23612022-10-17 18:03

    If anyone has ever programmed a controller on this machine, I should be able to see who has done so (so I thought).