Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

773 Actuator Problem???

bcathelp ยท 2009-02-28 22:47

I have an older (8-10 years) 773 with advnaced hand controls. After running the unit for 5-6 hours (moving snow and back draggin most of that time) the error lights on the tilt/lift handle will flash 5 times and I am dead in the water. If I let it sit for 20-30 minutes I may get 15 minutes of work out of it. I took the unit to my local dealer and the diags. they ran said both actuators are bad. Any advice or assitance would be greatly appracited.

Replies13
  1. #1accumac2009-03-01 09:49

    I have found that the ACS controlled machines have actuators with a limited life, the actuators go bad and there is nothing to do but replace them. There are 2 that I know of, one for lift and one for tilt. They don't have to be replaced at the same time, but it might make sense to. I have had several machines with around 2000 hours that I had them done or they were done just before I got the machine. The last reciept that I have for the job done by the Bobcat dealer, the actuators were $550. each and the labor was $425 to put them in then $95. for computer calibration. I have never done the job so I don't know what is involved. Once on a T200 I had one replaced then about 2 weeks later the other one went out. Accumac

  2. #2bcathelp2009-03-01 17:45

    Given the amount of hours on this machine should I be concerned about other things going wrong in the near future?

  3. #3accumac2009-03-01 18:00

    How many hours are on your machine, and have you had it since new? Accumac

  4. #4bcathelp2009-03-01 18:03

    there are 2500 hours, I have not had it since new. The previous owner put a new engine in less than 400 hours ago. I took ownership this past fall and have not had any other issues than having to replace the muffler.

  5. #5accumac2009-03-01 18:13

    What was the machine used for? Was it an owner operator or a fleet machine?

  6. #6bcathelp2009-03-01 18:29

    It was used for landscaping (mulch, rock etc..) street sweeping and snow removal. For most of its time it was an owner operated machine but the last 2 years(??) it was used by employees of the company. The comapny I got it from is owed by a personal friend and he was shocked over what has happened. Unfortunatly, he does not have a mechanic in hose.

  7. #7accumac2009-03-02 07:54

    With 2500 hours, I wouldn't be surprised if hydrostatic drives or the hydraulic pump failed. It doesn't mean that it will fail, I just wouldn't be surprised. I would say that the machine possibly hasn't had the best of maintenance since the engine failed at 2000 hours, that isn't common. However, it happens all the time, I have a S185 with a new engine because the owner installed the air filter incorrectly and dusted the engine. If the machine runs well, doesn't loose drive power when it heats up and doesn't have strange noises in the drive line then I would expect it to stay trouble free for a while but keep up on the filter replacement and general maintenance. I like the 773, and believe it to be a well proven machine. (now the S185 and originally Bobcats first vertical lift machine the 7753 that came out around 1991) Accumac

  8. #8bcathelp2009-03-02 08:20

    Thanks for the info. The engine was replaced due to a stupid move by one of his employees. He left the machine on site over night when the temps dipped down to around -25 and it was not plugged in. When he jumpped it he had it in full throttle and it blew. Other than this isssue I have not experienced any problems.

  9. #9bobcatmechanic2009-03-02 16:37

    there are three styles of actualtor 1 of them is not used any more there where tail mount not used any more metal contorller ones which took place of the tail mount and then there are the plastic controller ones which are on most g series and newer machines the metal controller ones you put on and run them till they drop plastic controller ones which now have to have version 63 service softwear or higher can be callibrated not saying they will last longer but its all in the way they are put on and if your spools are straight and the back caps are tight. the best way to put them on and i just was told this by bobcat company techs is put them on tighten the bolts eavnly leave them a little loose and then calibrate they perform better a little loose also replace the bolts when you replace the actuators

  10. #10accumac2009-03-02 18:03

    That is good information! Are you saying that if you put an actuator in that it will not work unless it is calibrated by a Bobcat Computer? Also, where are they located, on the machine? Accumac

  11. #11bobcatmechanic2009-03-02 21:01

    on older machines with metal controllers mostly f series some g they will work jsut by putting them on got to go write more later

  12. #12bobcatmechanic2009-03-02 23:01

    there is no way to calibrate these with the metal controlers so yo just put them on and go on the smaller machines the controller is above or next to the hydrostat and on large frames its on the r/s bellow the throttle under the cab you can tell them from the outside just by the bolts there are 4 5/16 bolts that hold them on the plastic controllers are held by 2 3/8 bolts in the same area the actuators are on the control valve under the cab on the l/s as you look under the cab right behind the kick plate some machines theya re a breez to get out others a pain the but large wheel machines are easy track loaders with sjc a breese acs no fun wheel machines charge an 1 1/2 labor track loaders are 2 or 2 1/2 cant remeber takes about 30 min to change usually and about 10 or so to update and calibrate so they make bank off you guys small frame machines 753 763 take the kick plate out 175 185 usally are pretty easy to get t 190 take the kick plate out when you do that it takes a little longer to do then

  13. #13Bratton Bobcat2009-06-19 17:09

    You need the bobcat dealer to plug in your bobcat to calibarate your actuators if you get the machine ready before he gets there it will save you money i recon it should take about a hour and a half to do it if you bolt the body work back on your self