Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

773 F-series Engine oil light

dukeyjoe ยท 2013-07-13 11:50

Was fixing my drive from all the rain yesterday and my engine oil light started blinking intermittently. I shut it down and open the back door and see hydraulic fluid on the battery. One of the small lines that make a U turn from a block to to the bottom of the lift cylinder had a wear spot in it that was dripping. Just a coincidence I'm sure. Went to clean the connection on the engine oil pressure sensor and the black plastic just broke when I tried to loosen the little nut. Engine oil was full, but does need changing from sitting. Black, but still felt like good viscosity hot. Machines smokes a little after stopping it, but clears in a couple minutes when cold and seconds when hot. Do you think it is the sensor or something else? I do not have the BOSS with code displays. TIA, Duke

Replies3
  1. #1dukeyjoe2013-07-14 22:02

    Dang this is a tough crowd :beatsme Changed the oil and filter in the 773 and it did not smoke when starting it cold like it was doing before. I had the threaded hole wear the oil sensor plugged, so I don't know the answer to this question. Will the light start flicker with old oil. The oil and filter did not have a lot of hours on it, but the machine did sit for about 6 months. Is there a screen on the oil pump that could sludge up from sitting? I'm going to buy an oil pressure gauge tomorrow and check that tomorrow and will get a new sensor on Wednesday when the hose comes in.

  2. #2willie592013-07-14 22:39

    I wouldn't fret too much about the crowd dukeyjoe, you have to consider that many folks here have no experience with Bobcat machines, I myself have no experience with the 773 F Series. But if I were to wade into a guess, putting a test gauge on the oil pressure port will either confirm or calm your fears. If gauge confirms all is well, simply plug the port until you get a new pressure switch. Can't say for certain, but I'd wager the rudimentary ECU on the 773 F won't flip out if the oil pressure switch has been temporarily removed from the system.

  3. #3dukeyjoe2013-07-14 23:36

    Thanks Willie. You're, probably, correct about the crowd. Don't see too many F-series owners. I'll put the OP gauge on it tomorrow. What is your experience with other models and the light flickering?