after running down all possible wires,grounds,connectors,and checks for fuses and relays,I still find that my non-functioning overhead left and right instrument panels just wildly flash and beep for about 5 to 10 seconds then go off leaving nothing powered. The hour meter says "input" after the panels shut down,which according to the manual indicates that "The controller is not communicating with the left instrument panel" those are the exact words the manual states. So,looks like controller problems. Anyone know where I can get one,if I decide to go that route? Thanks
controller is available from bobcat, but they have to be programmed with bobcat service software. the controller communicates with the panel via 9XXX (purple) wires, many times even tho they show continuity, heres a problem in the harness. red (or red/white) wire to the left panel should have power all the time. make sure you have a good ground all the way through the cab harness as well. :drinkup
Welcome to HEF jimemco. :drinkup Yep, that's pretty much what has to happen with a Bobcat. The left panel has a data processor that has to communicate with the main controller in the lower frame of the machine, pretty much everything electrical that happens on a Bobcat happens via these two components and the wiring harness between the two is the vital link. As crewchief stated, check the red or red/white wires for power, especially at the C408 connector where the cab harness connects to the lower frame harness (in area just above hydraulic tank in lower frame). Use a test light with a probe to probe the wires and check power when you power up and start the machine.
Thanks Crewchief888!
Thanks for your input Willie59, please keep responding whenever you can ! I'll double check the wires again to the left panel for power.
Thanks again! I did re-check the harness connector,C408 and it was still fine as it was one of the first connectors I checked and cleaned. I also have 12.65 volts at the left panel connector red wire with key off or key on. Pretty sure it's controller related because tonight,for the third time in as many days when I turned on key to the "on" position,all panel lights and indicators flashed and alarm beeped in time with the flashes,9 or 10 indiscriminate times before stopping. Then,5 to 10 seconds later with the key still in the "on" posiition,the darn engine "cranked over" for about 2 seconds! Scared the **** outta me! lol ! I was in the other end of the shop this time! Also the fuel guage and temp guages are both pegged with or without key on,off or totally disconnected from the harness. Will keep y'all posted.
Ok everyone,got it figured out! After doing all the preliminary checks, I finally got it fixed! It was the controller!! The local Bobcat dealer loaned me their "shop controller" to take and test the unit with. So it worked out good for me. Bad news,the contoller costs $985 plus tax and reprogramming fee. So the total is about $1250. Glad it's all over,thanks for your help!