Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

7×5 Car Trailer light Problems

D11RCD ยท 2011-04-22 02:55

Hi everyone, My Dad and I have been having problems with our trailer ever since we got our new car. It seems to be messing with the central computer. We get: Dynamic Stability Control Fault (Since we changed from a 7 pin round plug on the trailer with an adapter, to the direct fit to the car a 7 pin flat on the trailer and the car this hasn't happened again) We also now get a headlamp fault warning sometimes, but when the lights are off and we hit the brakes the car parking headlamps come on. :Banghead This is obviously not supposed to happen. When we had our old car which did not have a computer at all, these problems did not exist. We have changed the trailer plug to match the car, (a 7 pin flat plug on trailer and car) and also we have hooked up a friend's boat tow 'light board' and this provoked no faults. Should we change the trailer wiring harness, or take the car in to get checked? Or can someone else put forward a possible solution that we haven't mentioned. Thanks guys, we really appreciate it. P.S. The current car is a 2010 Ford Falcon XR6.

Replies5
  1. #1D11RCD2011-04-23 21:54

    We fixed it! The right hand brake light had been installed backwards ointhead so it lit up with both filaments, effectively completing the circuit to the parking headlights when the brakes were pushed and also turning cruise control off, as the computer thought the brakes were being pressed.

  2. #2Lee-online2011-04-23 22:02

    I had a similar problem. I had a bad ground and it was grounding through the ball. Well, when it lost the connection the running light would ground through the electric brakes and apply them. I now have a few extra grounds on my trailers. Nice car BTW.

  3. #3D11RCD2011-04-24 00:04

    That wouldn't be good! Ours wasn't applying brakes (luckily) just stuffing around with the computer. Thanks on the car BTW, i should post some pics

  4. #4Lee-online2011-04-24 10:03

    I see cars in different country's and wish we could get them over here in the US. I guess different regulations or something prevent that.

  5. #5D11RCD2011-04-24 19:52

    Left hand conversions are the main problem i guess, I love some of the imports we see around here.