Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8.2 Detroit no start…

pro94lt1 ยท 2014-08-03 16:02

My 89 get 7000 is my money maker, parked it Wednesday running great went to start it today and nothing. I gave it a shot of ether and it hit I'm stumped. Filters are a month old. I'm not sure where to even start not sure it has a lift pump? HELP!

Replies5
  1. #1pro94lt12014-08-04 13:25

    I think I've narrowed it down to the governor, and the solenoid inside it. It's got juice but no clicking. I manually held it open and it started ran fine for 2 hours shut it off and today no go. This governor doesn't have the solenoid that you can see on the outside. ..

  2. #2pro94lt12014-08-14 18:32

    It will always start if I have a helper start it while I manually slide the rod over that comes out of governor. It's a shame I've got 2 manual governors but this one is electronic and different anyone know where to get one?

  3. #3roadrunner812014-08-14 23:56

    Got one last year from Pacific Power, my local detroit dealer.

  4. #4Shimmy12014-08-15 01:07

    I would check if you get power to the pull-in side of solenoid. Usually tied in to starter solenoid circuit. If your solenoid has three wires it needs power when you turn key to "start" to pull the plunger in. Worse case the pull in coil shorted and its junk.

  5. #5pro94lt12014-08-15 08:42

    That's good to know. How much was it? Also this is the electronic governor not the mechanical one that was in them from 81- maybe 86... If it were the older one I'd have it fixed. ..