I have an older haul trailer that has 8.25 - 15s. I started running 18 ply ,load range J tires several years ago. Recently I blew one out, called the tire shop and was informed that the 18 plys are no longer available. If you have converted from 8.25 - 15s to 17.5s , I'd love to hear what your experience has been !! Mine are spoke split rims on the trailer. A 42,000 lb D6 is the heaviest thing I move. I've also tossed around the idea of upgrading trailers , but I'm kind of used to what I have . Thank you in advance for your input !!
8 17.5 rims and tires will change over without changing any thing else
Keep in mind that when you go from tube to tubeless, the size goes up one to keep the same O.D. 10.00-20 matches 11-22.5, 10.00-15 matches 11-17.5, etc. I haven't checked 8.25-15s but they probably match 9-17.5s. One thing that might work is to switch to 10.00-15s, they are more common, and carry more weight for the same ply rating. That would keep you from having to buy more rims, and you can change them one axle at a time if you want to spread the expense.
Petepilot, you and I posted at the same time, but I went and checked to be sure, 8-17.5 is a lot smaller than 8.25-15 According to Double Coin's website, an 8.25 is 33.3 inches and a 8 is 30.9
Maybe 19.5 ‘s ?
it takes (8) 17.5 rims and tires to change over provided its a tandem trailer
19,5 s on a 15" hub ?
Sorry. I guess not.
I switched from 15's to 17.5. Just like petepilot said, get the 8 rims and 8 tires. You probably need to get rid of the split rims anyway. http://www.wheelsnowinc.com/catalog/index.php?brandID=1&mountingID=1
Many years ago we ran 8.25 x 15 on Murray 16 wheel lowbeds, then they went to a 215/75R x 17.5 which weren't quite as tall. I had a trailking 8 tire lowbed and it had 235/75 x 17.5. The 235/75 might be the right one for you.
I was looking at friends rogers 40ton dual axle lowbed with 11x22.5, I compared load ratings with my 10x15s on my 40 ton Talbert dual axle. The 10x15s carry more, go figure.
NO, Just NO. 19.5s are a light medium duty truck tire, NOT a trailer tire, period. They are made with a different rubber compound than trailer tires, and are not scrub (think turning) resistant. Been there, done that. The 19.5s on a tandem or triple axle wear very prematurely