Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8.3 cummins problem

Lawnboy2121 ยท 2014-12-18 19:46

I have a 1995 ford with a 8.3 cummins in it. I was hauling all day with it and the last few loads it seemed down on power going up the hills. On the way back to the shop it would only run up to around 2100 rpm then start to die. Then it started to smoke white when at full throttle. It runs good and sounds good. And everything seems ok maybe a plugged filter ? Any info

Replies17
  1. #1Delmer2014-12-18 20:56

    Sounds right to me. But remember, the filter is only where the designers WANTED the gunk to collect, there's lots more places that plug up too.

  2. #2Lawnboy21212014-12-18 21:41

    Once I change the filter witch will be tomorrow is there any thing I can add to the fuel to clean the fuel system that works

  3. #3Delmer2014-12-18 22:45

    Not for the random junk that would be causing a problem like this. If you have that bad of fuel issues that there's scaly rusty flaky crud in the tank, then you need to take it off and clean it, and start over. Hopefully you haven't let this thing sit with a quarter tank of biodiesel for a couple years. Probably just have some fitting plugged up, or an air leak. If you can, tear the old filter apart and see what you find, or even post a pic.

  4. #4Fatgraderman2014-12-20 00:29

    What style fuel shutoff did that one come with? Some of the early 90's 8.3's didn't have a rod end on the shutoff solenoid. Just a plunger retracted when energized and a soft spring returned the lever on the pump. I've seen a few times where you ether weren't getting full fuel or they wouldn't shut off. Something you can check.

  5. #5Lawnboy21212014-12-21 19:03

    I changed the filter and added more power service in the tank and it seems to be back to normal. I cut the filter open and it looked pretty nasty so I think that was my problem thanks for the replies

  6. #6Delmer2014-12-21 20:00

    What kind of nasty did you find in the filter? The conventional wisdom is to fill your tank at the end of every day, which makes sense to keep the air/water out of the tank which causes the gunk. On the other hand, you're probably not running a 95 all day everyday to keep the fuel fresh, so if you top it up every time you use it once a month you've got fuel in there going back pretty much to 95. In this situation I like to run it down to 1/4 or 1/8 tank and add small amounts more frequently in order to flush it out. Then go back to a full tank when it's going to sit. Pure redneck speculation, your results may vary. Biodiesel is supposedly an excellent solvent for loosening the gunk from fuel systems, but that is a whole 'nuther can of worms. DON'T let bio sit.

  7. #7Lawnboy21212014-12-21 20:09

    Just dirty I run the truck every day in the summer months fuel it up at least once a week and always try to buy my fuel at one station. The truck always ran good I just didn't change the fuel filter in a while and now with the cold weather coming it seemed to finish off the filter. There was no big pile of junk in the filter just dirty

  8. #8Lawnboy21212014-12-21 20:15

    This is the truck as u can see its in pretty good shape

  9. #9Lawnboy21212014-12-23 17:36

    Hauled with the truck today it's back to normal runs like a bear or at least a little bear lucky only a plugged filter

  10. #1002Dmax2014-12-23 18:40

    Sharp truck

  11. #11CaptainAnalyzer2014-12-24 11:48

    One of the cleaner F series trucks from that vintage that I've seen.

  12. #12Lawnboy21212014-12-27 19:47

    Thanks there is no rust on it

  13. #13Shimmy12014-12-27 19:52

    Do you have the charge-air 275 hp or is it just the intercooled 240?

  14. #14Lawnboy21212014-12-27 20:17

    250 hp intetcooled

  15. #15Lawnboy21212014-12-27 20:22

    With an 8 speed

  16. #16Shimmy12014-12-27 20:29

    I repowered an IH 2600 with a 275 when the DT466 died. Bolted a Fuller 13 sp to it. Made one heck of a truck out of it. Was nothing compared to the L10 powered trucks, but was still a nice, light, snappy little tandem.

  17. #17Lawnboy21212014-12-27 20:35

    This one does pretty good for what It is . It pulls good for the truck. It's a single axle with a lift and where we r it's somewhat flat no major hills