Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8040 Zoom Boom Carelift Hydraulic pulsing.

VileMisanthropy ยท 2014-03-28 12:06

Hey guys I have an old Zoom boom Carelift getting a bit of an overhaul in the shop, I having a hydraulic issue that i don;t understand, i'm quite an amateur when it comes to certain hydraulic problems, anyways the problem i am having is a pulsating hissing noise like a pressure release from the pump leading to the hydraulic steering box, it shakes the whole machine while operating the boom and i suspect it may be dangerous to run this machine on a job site. As the machine is running I follow the hoses running through the system making the noise and the are pulling hard when the noise occurs. in the video i tired to demonstrate this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdQKFM7-V08&list=HL1396022652 Any suggestions are definitely welcome.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies6
  1. #1BillG2014-03-28 13:48

    It'd been a long time since I worked on a Zoom Boom. Is there an accumulator in the system? I know that most of the machines that i service have at least one and this is a common problem when an accumulator goes flat (discharged).

  2. #2VileMisanthropy2014-03-28 15:47

    It does appear to have an accumulator, how do i service this or is it to be replaced?

  3. #3BillG2014-03-28 16:18

    First you would need to determine if in fact it was the cause, to do that you would need a charging port adapter and gauge. You could then test for proper pressure. After that you would need a bottle of nitrogen and the proper regulator. It would be easier and cheaper to have someone with the proper equipment do it for you. They would need to do a leakage test to determine if it was leaking internally.

  4. #4VileMisanthropy2014-03-31 15:17

    After calling a few tech guys I was given a simple easy way to test this but uncapping the bleeder valve and releasing the air to find just a **** of nitrogen and then it was empty so I've takin it out of the machine and I'm taking it to a shop for recharge and ill fill you in on the results after installation, but it looks liek your right on this BillG and I've leaned something about accumulators. Thank you

  5. #5VileMisanthropy2014-04-01 10:32

    Well all is good after install, pressure fluctuations are gone and machine operates perfectly. Thanks again!

  6. #6mike12122019-05-29 16:42

    I got the same trouble on a machine right here. Do you remember where was located that accumulator on the machine ? because i got a long tube like on the previous photo under the engine and i got a small round (like a baloon) under the frame more in the front. thanks