Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’81 F-350 Restoration

Steve Frazier ยท 2009-12-13 16:03

I got a scanner last month and just figured out how to scan photos into my computer. I'm sharing a series of photos I shot while restoring my F-350 back in '96. I had bought the truck from a school district via sealed bid in '86, it was rough cosmetically then but a good work truck. Over the next ten years I used it in building my home and casual snowplowing. When I started my business in '96 the truck was in rough shape and I didn't want it to represent me in public so I did a little improving on it. Here you see a couple shots before the work began. I threw up a makeshift tarp to work under preparing a rust free junkyard cab I found. One cab corner was hit so I cut it off prior to taking it to the body shop to have the new one welded on.

Replies18
  1. #1Steve Frazier2009-12-13 16:09

    The tear down has begun, pickup bed and front clip removed Proof positive a Ford 655 can be used for something other than a "boat anchor". Bare chassis The old drive train. A 351M 2 barrel with 4 speed manual. This was a gutless engine from the start that only got worse. At this point some of the exhaust manifold mounting tabs had rotted off.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2009-12-13 16:20

    Here's the engine I prepared for the truck, a 351W with '69 closed chamber heads. I blue printed all the bearings during assembly, block was bored .30 over, crank polished and chamfered. Crank didn't need grinding. Long block assembly before painting. I ported the exhaust side, there is a large lump of metal in the ports that restricts flow I removed. Frame was wire wheeled and steam cleaned, then shot with POR-15 and IH red implement paint. New engine installed. I went with the Edelbrock Performer setup here, intake, cam and carburetor for low end torque. I also converted to a C6 auto with B&M shift kit installed.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2009-12-13 16:25

    I was very fortunate that my buddy let me use his shop to work in. Here the refurbished cab is installed and painted. I also found a rust free box to use. Here we are taped for the red trim After taping removed

  4. #4Steve Frazier2009-12-13 16:29

    Here she is finished. The project took about 3 months of spare time. If you look closely, you can see a 1/4" pin stripe in red over the red bottom that I'm pretty proud of. Some very careful taping with 1/4" body tape resulted in this. After this I had the truck lettered with my company logo, I have to hunt around and see if I can find a pic of that.

  5. #5Iron Horse2009-12-13 17:15

    She looks brand new again , great work . I see your a stickler for detail like me , even lined up the writing on the welsh plugs . This is my current truck Ive not long finished . Nissan Patrol chassis , diffs and gearbox . F250 cabin , Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo engine , firewall and dash . 81-97 F Trucks are the best looking trucks ever made IMHO .

  6. #6Muffler Bearing2009-12-13 18:19

    very nice work Steve, that's a thorough resto

  7. #7willie592009-12-13 18:53

    :lmao :falldownlaugh :yup Man...I'm sending you my '85 F-150. You experienced!

  8. #8td25c2009-12-13 20:13

    Thats quite a restoration Steve,Looks like it came off the showroom floor.Job well done.After you get ATCOEQUIP's 85 F-150 done,Put me on the list for my 74 F-350 service truck.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2009-12-13 21:06

    Thanks guys! I did that back when I had more ambition than sense, lol! I'm not sure I'd try it again.

  10. #10td25c2009-12-13 21:22

    Are those brass freeze plugs on the 351 Steve?I always liked to use them as they wont rust out & leak.Walk up to a parts counter today and ask for brass freeze plugs all I get is a dumb look from the parts man.Good job on the 351.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2009-12-13 22:46

    Yes, they are brass. Whenever I do a project of any type, I use the best quality materials I can. My Dad always preached "If a job isn't worth doing right, it's not worth doing at all." I'm not one to try and save a few cents and have it come back and bite me in the ass. Thanks!

  12. #12RonG2009-12-14 03:18

    Great job Steve.It's funny how time changes our behavior.I still like to restore old things but my "ambition" is channeled to less physical and more mental achievements. Thank you for sharing your quality work with us.Ron G

  13. #13bren.mtl252009-12-14 14:11

    I love that body style... Good work!!!

  14. #14amscontr2009-12-14 16:17

    I thought I was watching Trick My Truck for a moment, heckuva job!

  15. #15Dominion 4102009-12-14 21:02

    F-350 Mighty fine,mighty fine:drinkup:drinkup Dominion

  16. #16Mack1852009-12-15 21:45

    Beautiful Truck. You did one helluva job on her.

  17. #17Steve Frazier2009-12-15 22:46

    Thanks guys!

  18. #18Dualie2009-12-15 22:53

    did i ever mention how glad i am that i DON'T live anywhere where it snows? Mighty fine work Steve.