Just bought a s1700 for a dump truck. It has not run in a few years as I bought from a farmer who parked it when he got a full size truck. I'm having a heard time finding information on it such as a service manual or parts or any info really. The truck is a 1981 s1700 with 9.0l and 5 speed manual trans with 2 speed rear end. The brakes are not working and it feels as if the clutch is gone or needs to be adjusted. Ill be putting new battery's in and replacing all fluids before i start it up. Any help would be great! Thanks
Does the clutch pedal have no resistance? could it be a hydraulic clutch? (like a brake cylinder instead of a cable or linkage). Hydraulic brakes or air brakes? Why would you drain the fluids before starting it? Maybe crack the plugs enough to be sure oil drips out instead of water, but then run the snot out of it and THEN drain the fluids. Unless you're planning to pull the pan and scrub the dirt out of it. If you drain it cold, the oil will be clean and the dirt is in the pan.
Clutch has no resistance. Opened up the access cover and it looks as if when the peddle is pushed all the way down the sleeve that is around the shaft is barely touching the clutch It is connected by linkage to the trans. Brakes are hydraulic. I was thinking I would replace oil just to be safe but now that you say it that makes good since!
Good day, Andrew. Sounds identical to the truck I learned to drive in. It most likely has vacuum assisted hydraulic brakes. The possibilities are many why you have no brakes, from no fluid to the vacuum pump bad, it's belt drive so is the belt on? Next question, does the pedal go to floor or does it hardly push at all? If the later, wait til you get it started. There should be a vacuum gauge lower right corner of cluster, normal is around 25 in./water?? If the pedal goes to the floor, you'll probably have to bleed everything out, you must start at the booster behind the cab though. Any more questions, I'll try best I can to help. Welcome to the Forum.
Can you look up underneath while someone else pushes pedal? They have the same clutch design as a big truck. There are at least 3 pins in the linkage. Are all the pins in? When you look up in there should be a square box on the end of that tube you're talking about. That is the throw out bearing. If that is moving back and forth while someone is pushing the pedal up and down, your clutch is probably toast.
I also learned to drive in one of these. I still own it for purely sentimental reasons, a 1977 IH Loadstar 1700, with a freshly rebuilt engine. I haven't used it in 10 years just because those vacuum over hydraulic brakes are so expensive and labor intensive to maintain. Have you started it yet? Most of those trucks used a push clutch like a pickup, rather than a pull clutch like a heavy truck. They are bad about the clutch sticking when they sit up for a while.
Not trying to be the smart kid here, but that truck has a pull type clutch. The only engines I know of that had push type clutches were a Cat 3208 and Detroit 8.2. I am intimately familiar with that truck because my dad has a '80 1800 he bought new. Dug the broken off flywheel bolts out three times before the fourth time it damaged the holes too much to put it back together. We blamed it on the ceramic (button) clutch we had to put in at 600,000 miles. After that, and the game was on. Figured most of the problem was that 1st gear in that Spicer is plenty fast.
I went back and looked, it has a 9.0L; I can't think just what engine that is. (DT466? maybe?) There are definitely a good many 1700s out there with push clutches. The one I have here has an MV446 with a 5 and 2, and it definitely has a push clutch. I have worked on a few others with both types. One thing I've learned is never say always, or never. Just as a coincidence, my father also bought this one new in 1977.
A MV446 is a gas engine, the 9.0 L is a V-8 Diesel. It is the same as a DV550 from the late 60's, early '70's. Only difference is they had a weird fuel pump that when it idled it only ran on 4 cylinders.
Oh, that thing that was based on the old V549. Don't think I ever looked at the clutch behind one.
Hey Thanks for all the incite on the truck!!! i have put fresh fuel in and new batteries and topped off the oil.i have not gotten a chance to dig into the brakes or clutch yet. i got the truck to start up! But it instantly revs to 3000 RPMs any suggestions on what i should look for to fix this? any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again
:bash:Banghead:BangheadI changed fuel filters and now I can't get it to start....?:Banghead
Did you fill new filters before trying to start? It's been so many years since I've been under that hood, I don't remember if it has a hand primer. You are going to need to verify that you are getting fuel pressure up to and through the filters. There is a transfer pump on the side of the main injection pump. This pulls fuel from the tank and I believe pushes it thru both filters and then back to the pump. I'm sure this has a manual shutoff, is that pushed in? As for your throttle issue, these are notorious for breaking throttle spring. Look at the pedal, the arm goes up and the cable pulls out of the firewall. When you push the pedal down and let go, does the cable pull back? If not, your problem is out by the fuel pump.
I did fill filters when I put them on and It does have a hand primer I pumped it until it got hard tried to crank it but nothing. So I loosened the bleeder on the side of the fuel pump to see if I had fuel to the pump and I had fuel there but when I cracked the #1 line on the top of the pump and push the hand primer I was not getting any fuel to come out.
You'll need to be cranking it to get fuel out injector lines. Loosen all the lines, crank til fuel comes out. Once again, is the shutoff pushed in or is it electric??
It is manual and no it is not pulled out.
Not trying to be smart, but, did you check the shutoff at the pump, or in the cab?
Andrew, any update??
Hey guys Thanks to you I finally got the old girl running on Saturday!!!! Finally!!!! Almost brought it to the scrap yard. I'm glad I didn't give up though now! However my next challenge is getting the clutch working. When I brought it home the clutch pedal had very very little resistance and didn't disengage the clutch so I adjusted the linkage a bit and tried again the pedal felt more firm but still didn't disengage the clutch. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! And thanks again for the help on getting it running!!!
You're going to need someone to help you. One guy push the pedal down, the other underneath to see what's going on. There will be a squarish box around the shaft into the trans. When you push the pedal, that should move backwards toward the trans. It should move around ¾". If it's moving and the clutch isn't releasing, either the disks are stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate, or the clutch is toast. At that point, only real way to find out is to pull trans.