Working on some wiring in the dash of my 81 Western Star 4964. The trouble would be all the wires are white, with numbers on them which i am sure is a great system if you have the code, which i do not, and my dealer has nothing, oh and i called western star( Daihmler Freightliner now) their tech line looked in the basement of the old building at some microfish and found something that amounts to nothing. So In 81 Western Star was still tied to White, actually the radio and guages in my truck say white motors on them, and the hood and vin tag say western star and the cabs are the same as an Autocar. I am not sure if the wiring is the same for any of these trucks but maybe someone knows this answer. I have information for the heritage model trucks, but my truck is earlier than the heritage models started, i am not sure when the heritage models started, and the wiring code is different. Any information on these trucks would be helpful, especially wiring but any history is also cool to see.
I was asking about a gauge in my '98 western star at the dealer parts counter. New parts gal looks up my VIN, and it isn't in her computer, turns to the other parts guy- he says "on those really old trucks like that you have to go into the other section". I'm thinking its one of the newest trucks I own. I hate to tell you this, but I think you're just going to end up tracing everything out that you are having issues with. Or do like most of my stuff, just run a new wire to whatever you need to work, then you can have all sorts of new wire colors, old wires that are cut off, and butt splices everywhere. Yes, I can be that kind of a mechanic (using that word very loosely) at times, I'm sorry to all you actually good mechanics out there. I'd like to say I fix things right every time, but sometimes I just need it to run.
Even when your 81 Star was new buying parts was a ordeal. Parts for those old Stars are hard to get, to get interior cab parts was normally a month wait. As far as the wiring harness goes like said above {trace it}. And don't rub those wires with anything to read a number, you will wipe the number off. Don't break the windshields that glass is hard to get and not cheap. But I still like those old Stars. Truck Shop
I like the old star, the wires actually have a piece of fabric wrapped around the wire with a number on it.
Love the Old Stars and A-Cars, both on the same cabs.