Hello, 821 (no letter) with zf transmission. Today I had first gear go out in the pay loader. I assumed it was just a solenoid as a few years ago when I bought it I had to put in a new one because first gear was out. Drove it to the shop and found out the trans oil cooler has a hole in it and the transmission has anti freeze and the rad has tranny fluid. Looking for recommendations on what to do. Drained the trans already, going to pull the rad and hopefully have it repaired. New one is over $4,000. Do you think the transmission is actually ruined? I won’t know until I get it put back together. Any suggestions on how to clean both rad and trans out? If it’s not bad do I run it for a few hours and change oil right away? I try and take pretty meticulous care of my equipment. Thanks for the help,
Any help?
If anyone else has this problem it was a solenoid below the cab. The very top one didn’t ohm out and I replaced it and it worked.
I would flush the transmission with new fluid (which you did), run it for a bit and replace the fluid again. Depending on how much antifreeze got into the system and how much or hard it was run while it was contaminated, would likely be the indicator of potential problems moving forward. My thought would be if bearings and gears in the tranny were damaged from the contamination, there is nothing your going to do that can fix it now, other than a rebuild. So I would run it. I would pull the rad and have it cleaned out since the machine is older and you have everything apart anyway and of course use new antifreeze.