I also posted this in the Dozer section since the 850 came in both configurations. I own a Case 850 B TL with the 336 turbo. It died and spun a bearing and ruined the block. To rebuild myself will cost 4 K with no assurances. To get a reman is $7100 and have not been able to find a used one for less then $3500, without any warrant or oil analysis. The rest of the machine is in great shape. However I don't think it warrants spending $7100 on. So I was thinking a retro fit. but I can't think of a alternative. I have searched the Internet, talked to a case parts dept. all to no avail. The later 850's have the 5.9 cummins but the bell crank and length are different. Basically all the engine does is run the pumps. It is the pumps that do everything. So ANY ideas. Thanking you in advance Dave
Hunt the action circuits like ironplanet and rbauction and buy a newer machine with a cummins already in it, by the time your done, you will have just as much in it as one ready to go, use the old one for spare parts, if the undercarriage is good, and a lot of the rest of machine is very similar in many aspects, such as the finals and transmission and cylinders, pumps and some other stuff, just compare the components in the parts books. I'm not sure what model in the 850 series you have to go to get to get descent brakes, but that's a plus as well. As for repowering it, you can use any engine that fits inside the framework, as for how to go about it and what engine to use, depends on how good of a machinist/fabricator you are, as for hiring it all done, its going to cost far more than the machine is worth. As for finding another 336 case, just start hunting salvage yards, the 870 case tractor used the same engine, as did a few other applications, as far as getting your block machined and fitted with larger main bearings, I've known a few that did this and upon start up, it spun them again for some reason. As for the pumps doing everything, not really, the torque converter does the bulk of the work, with the pumps mounted on that to run the cylinders and hydraulics, and the charge pump for the torque and transmission. I have no idea what you use this machine for or how much you use it, or how long you've had it, but to me, I'd update it and move on, no different than an older vehicle or anything else, there comes a point where its not economically feasible to spend a lot of money on it for its age, but again that's just my opinion. Best of luck