I recently purchased a Case 850B that has been sitting up for several years. I was told it just quit pulling that they thought the Torque converter had gone out on it. I added batteries and fuel and it cranked right up the blade worked fine has a few leaking cylinders and hoses but would not move. checked the transmission fluid as its separate than the blade and its fine. the pressure gauge on the dash would come up to pressure and then fall off when you put it in gear. So I removed the rear belly pan to gain access to the bottom of the transmission. There is a short piece of rubber hose that connects the suction hose of the pump to the trans. I felt it and it was very soft. Pulled it off and it was separated on the inside and completely closed off. I replaced the hose and refilled the trans with new fluid and fired it up pressure gauge came up to normal and held steady so I put the left track in gear and it worked fine. The right track is frozen up from rust and sitting so long. I started to see trans fluid coming from the radiator so i shut it down. Pulled the radiator and there is a transmission cooler in the bottom tank of the radiator. I was quoted 2700 dollars to fix the radiator. I guess my question is it possible to mount an external transmission cooler and cap off the cooler in the radiator? Also any suggestions or short cuts on feeing up the right side track would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance !!!!!!
You can soak the track with diesel fuel and work it back and forth. I would diesel it twice a day for a few days then work it back and forth afterwards. A simple radiator shop should be able to remove the lower tank and make a simple repair provided the core is good.
I would recommend water to help free up the track, soak it good then try to move it back and forth while still running water on the track, best way is to run the tractor in shallow water if you can, it will flush out the rust and leave it pretty clean. Using diesel or oil to free up the tracks will leave an abrasive paste between the pins and bushing which will accelerate wear. On some of the very early crawlers, they had a oiling system for the tracks, it was quickly abandoned due to the rapid wear it caused on the unsealed tracks.
Are you sure we didn't purchase the same dozer? Seriously my newly purchase 450 was retired due to not pulling. After I freed the frozen track and got it to run I found out that it was pushing transmission fluid thru the radiator. I'm in the process of getting that repaired. Hopefully if all goes well that will be a simple fix. I also found the suction hose in same shape as yours. Wait a min I just noticed you are from MS as well. Now I'm rethinking maybe it is the same dozer!!! LOL
UPDATE! I Got the radiator fixed with a used bottom tank which is the transmission cooler also and a new core got it back together jacked up the side that was froze up continued to work it back and forth. Come to find out the brake was adjusted to tight on that side backed it off and everything is free now. Just cleaning it up now and replacing all filters and fluids getting ready to go to work.