Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

855 cummins pt ?

gwhammy ยท 2014-12-07 09:17

I've got a 94 international with the infamous 855 cummins at 330 horse. This is about the last year they made a complete mechanical 855 I believe. The pt pump has the shaft with the tamper proof ball in it, or lets say it had the tamper proof ball. Does anyone know about how much power you get from a full turn of the screw and what is the safe amount of turns out you can go. I have turned it three turns out and it seems to pull a lot better and the throttle seems snappier. All I'm getting is a puff of smoke on takeoff, light enough you can see threw it so I'm thinking it must not be much more fuel. Does this just add fuel threw the whole fuel curve?

Replies3
  1. #1Thomasdiesel2014-12-16 16:26

    If you screw this out, counter clockwise, it will increase fuel pressure. It will no change governed settings or AFC no air setting. If this is a 1994 it is actually an N14. This is an STC engine. Still 855 ci just a later version.

  2. #2gwhammy2014-12-16 18:53

    Isn't the n14 an electronic motor? This one is completely mechanical including injectors,right? I really don't know a lot about the big cummins motors, just that they are fairly reliable. Enlighten me.

  3. #3DoyleX2014-12-16 19:00

    Been there. Dont do it. It's timed fast with high compression aluminum pistons. You'll heat seize it.