Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

855 Cummins–Water Pump ,getting tube with O ring installed—-???? no luck yet here

LeakyBoot ยท 2013-11-10 10:28

Put on a new water pump and the simple task of slipping the water tube with O ring into place has me stopped cold. Everything is clean and I put O ring on the tube, lubed, and try to gently work into place but so far has cut or broken the O ring 3 times. There must be a trick to this?? I used tire bead lube the last time and still the same. I must be doing this wrong. I'm trying to push it in straight down with a tiny jiggle as I do. Any pro's out there? I'm at present out of O rings but will restock soon. Thanks, LB

Replies2
  1. #1td25c2013-11-10 11:11

    Thats odd leakyboot. I would suspect a sharp edge on the new water pump. They usually push in fairly easy with some lube . I have used silcone RTV in the past and worked fine. Its pretty slick plus helps seal after it sets up.

  2. #2kshansen2013-11-10 12:50

    Make sure you have the correct oring and the chamfer on the bore is nice and smooth.