Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

86 D4h

cfisher05 · 2022-09-01 18:23

Anyone know the part # for all the hydraulic cylinder repair seal kits , the cat dealer is saying there’s only one part # for all the cylinders but they are different sizes and I just wanted to make sure before I order it 86 D4h serial # 9db00424

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2022-09-01 18:49

    Always the best way to get seal kit Part Numbers - Start by looking close to the rod end of each cylinder for a metal tag with the cylinder part number on it. It’s more reliable than using the machine Serial Number.

  2. #2cfisher052022-09-01 19:04

    I found the tags but with the age of the machine the tags aren’t read able

  3. #3heymccall2022-09-01 19:52

    Lift cylinder choices...

  4. #4heymccall2022-09-01 19:55

    Angle cylinder choices...

  5. #5heymccall2022-09-01 19:58

    Tilt cylinder choices...

  6. #6heymccall2022-09-01 19:59

    For each shown above, the first listed is the most common choice.

  7. #7cfisher052022-09-01 20:19

    These are the cylinders themselves right , not the repair seal kit #’s I see an 8pb I’m assuming that is serial number, 9DB would have same ?

  8. #8heymccall2022-09-01 20:41

    My non-cat source (avspare.com) says serial numbers same on tractor. The cylinders actually belong to the blade/ dozer group. Is the tag still on your blade? Top, curbside, IIRC. For to use Cat SIS, the blade serial number is needed. SIS only shows the tractor, built March 1, 1986.

  9. #9cfisher052022-09-01 20:42

    Not being able to read tag I guess I just have to measure them or would the seal kits be pretty universal for all these cylinders, like everyone in the tilt, then a different part # for everyone in the angle and so forth

  10. #10cfisher052022-09-01 20:43

    I’ll have to check on the blade but I’m doubting it with the way all the other tags are

  11. #11Nige2022-09-02 04:37

    I prefer to work from cylinder Part Numbers but in the absence of them, here goes....... From the factory data the bulldozer arrangement fitted to machine 9DB00424 when built in March 1986 was a 3G-4060 CHG02. At that time 3G-4060 CHG02 listed the cylinder Part Numbers as 3G-9226, 4T-1063, & 4T-1683. Seal kits for those cylinder Part Numbers are as follows: - 3G-9226 - kit 240-8523 EDIT: I found some info later that leads me to believe 240-8523 Kit might not work on early versions of the 3G-9226 cylinder such as the one you have on your machine. 4T-1063 - kit 240-9939 4T-1683 - kit 240-1881 I am not as confident about the above information as I would be using Part Numbers obtained from tags on the cylinders but it's the best I can do.

  12. #12cfisher052022-09-02 05:34

    Thanks again nige Is there another kit to replace the 240-8523 for the earlier machines like mine

  13. #13Nige2022-09-02 06:20

    There does not appear to be. By build date the 3G-9226 cylinders on your machine should be CHG05. I think the 240-8523 kit will actually fit your cylinder but you will have one piece left over. The kit contains a fibre wear ring only used on cylinders from CHG07 onwards but other than that the parts in the kit are the same. See below - Early cylinder on the left, later cylinder on the right. the wear ring is #16.

  14. #14cfisher052022-09-02 07:06

    Ok thank you

  15. #15cfisher052022-09-03 12:44

    Do these kits come with other or extra parts that may not be used like you mentioned above about the wear ring Wasn’t sure if these kits could be for different cylinders or as the yr of the machine changed they could have differed a little bit so they put all in there I ask cause I replaced one and had other seals leftover that that didn’t match anything I took out and was no where to put them

  16. #16cfisher052022-09-03 14:20

    Do these kits come with parts that aren’t used like the wear ring you had mentioned above, like the cylinders changed a little over the years or the kit actually works for a few different ones cause after replacing one there was a few seal leftover that didn’t match any of the ones that I took out

  17. #17Nige2022-09-03 17:17

    Generally a kit only contains the parts you'll need to replace to reseal a specific cylinder Part Number between one Change Level and another. In the strictest sense of the word the 240-8523 kit is not applicable to your particular version of the cylinder, only to the later versions. It was only when I looked at the breakdown of the kit that I noticed it contained the wear ring (fitted to later versions of the cylinder) that you should not require for your cylinder that it dawned on me you could use the kit on your cylinder but you would be left with one piece unused.

  18. #18cfisher052022-09-03 19:30

    So I got kit 240-1881 for the angle cylinder 4t-1683 and I had several parts leftover Part #s used include 2h-3931 4j-9224 4t-8054 7j-9885 167-2190 308-1880 439-2697 Parts not used but include as follows 2h-6338 2j-4066 4t-6907 185-7898 I didn’t see any of these parts when I took it apart and put new seals in most still had legible part #s on them