I have a 86 with a DT466 that I use on property only a few times a year. It has always been difficult to start after sitting but usually hooked up to a charger and a lot of cranking it will start and no issues after that. This time it's been sitting for a few years this time and it won't start, tried a shot of starting fluid but won't stay running. Pulled an injector line off the pump and no fuel comes out while cranking it over so I pulled a line off the filters feeding into the pump and it's getting fuel out of the filters. I noticed a knob on the fitting the feed lines come into but have no idea what it is for. I also have a new issue with the air brake system. Usually when the tank fills the alarm goes off but now it doesn't and I have no air to release the parking brake. There is air in the tank. Wonder if this solenoid could be the problem for both. Don't have any manuals to go further than this.
See that flat knob on top of your filter. That unscrews and you can prime up to the injectors. Need to crack the lines there but should pump diesel to them.
This knob.
Is it a manual primer of sorts? I've ran my case 1090u out of fuel and it has a manual pump and a bleed screw, so same concept. Crack the lines coming out of the injector pump and unscrew that to prime the injector pump until fuel comes out the top?
Correct that is indeed a manual primer... Luckily on those older dt466 mechanical engines they are relatively easy to diagnose. I would investigate the reason for loss or prime of it is hard to start regularly. Those injectors can be easily pop tested for a good price and they are not difficult or expensive to replace if you find any that are bad. As for the air ... are you certain that the compressor is actually making air? Is it possible that the tank is holding air but not enough is being supplied?
I'll get it started first and tackle the air next. Only hard to start if it sits for a year or more, once I get it running it can sit for a month and start right up. Headed out to the location tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. Thank You. Looks like this is the compressor?
Primer
Relay, maybe for starter, my similar year S2574 didn't have that. Had a Big Cam though
Just to keep you straight.. NO FUEL will come out of the top of the pump by using the hand primer.. You HAVE TO spin the engine with the starter to get fuel out of the pump.. Unscrew the knob on the hp, pump it up and down until you hear fuel open the overflow valve and head back to the fuel tank.. THEN loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS and spin the engine.. A couple 10 second blasts on the starter should produce some fuel squirting out of the loosened lines.. tighten them up and hit the starter again.. it should start now.. Good luck
This plunger here Have someone crank the engine while you watch that plunger. Need to know if that is getting pulled back and holding .
Unscrewed the knob about 5 turns and then it seemed to just spin in place, no way to pump it up and down. No go there.
After the primer didn't work as explained I moved on to this, originally I tried to move it by hand, when that didn't work, I traced the wires back to the solenoid which was one of my thoughts. This time I was going to remove it to see if it maybe was frozen up, as soon as I put a wrench to the bolt on the linkage and gave it some torque it forced the plunger down. While it was down and Because I had the lines off at injectors, I got in and cranked it over. The engine cover in the cab was off and watched the rear injector while cranking and fuel came out after a few revolutions. Tightened the fuels lines up and it started right up. Superzilla'd the linkage and back in action, runs and starts great. Thank You..
Air issue was also solve when running, realized after posting that it probably wouldn't produce enough air unless running cause the pump is fully, not electric.
Now for the wipers. Stop working years ago and can't find a fuse slot in the panel for wipers. Again, manual did't come with the truck. How to test at the motor to see if it's getting power? Thought I had a picture of the motor, have to get one tomorrow.
I will get a wiring diagram to you tomorrow on the wiring and what goes where. I got a manual on these.
don’t forget to tighten the hand primer back down.. otherwise it’ll suck air..