Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

863 C bobcat leaking at steering control shafts

Frank S ยท 2020-05-14 18:21

Can the steering control shafts in the drive motors be re sealed without pulling the whole drive motor assembly? A friend loaned me his Bobcat so I could do some dirt work. He told me the thing was crazy to try and operate because of the steering. we liked to have never managed to make it drive off the trailer the left steer was all of nothing and the right creeped in the neutral position. So Fi figured I would try to adjust it some. After blocking the machine up off the ground and raising the cab I noticed that oil has been flowing around the steering valve shafts. I quickly found the problem with the left steer at the linkage on the shaft wobbles up and down before it turns I suspect the nut is loose. Before I arbitrarily start tearing into it I would like to know if the shafts can be resealed in place. Thanks in advance

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2020-05-14 20:13

    If your talking about where the square ended shaft comes out, yes. Remove linkage, remove cover, remove seal. Reverse for assembly.

  2. #2Frank S2020-05-15 02:39

    Thanks for your reply and the diagram and part number. Not sure if the numbers you provided will do me much good as the pump is a tandem with the charge pump on the right end but the left and right side pumps seem to share a single housing not bolted together driven by a single belt it has cable linkage from the steer tillers to the pumps the only other one of these I had been into was about 3 decades ago it was a 975 and the hydrostatic drives were trashed so the entire drive had to be removed for rebuild the only thing I remember about the machine was I swore that never again would I get involved in doing something like that

  3. #3heymccall2020-05-15 10:29

    Any gooder? ?

  4. #4Frank S2020-05-15 10:52

    Much better thanks heaps the new number came right up