Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

873 bobcat opions

ironage ยท 2013-04-03 13:24

I am just wondering what the general feeling on the bobcat 873 skidsteer is. I came across a 1999 with 2700 hrs on it and was considering having a look at it. Its a little more machine than the case 1845C I was hoping to get but price wise its not to bad. I have heard that those deutz engines can be troublesome with head gasket, turbo and timing belt issues. Are there any other issues that haunted these machines or are they a good solid reliable machine? Thanks.

Replies14
  1. #1KSSS2013-04-03 20:00

    The loader arms were known for cracking out. I would be very careful, watch for new paint.

  2. #2Bobcatdan2013-04-03 22:53

    Change the timing belt before 3000 hr. Check the arms and if needed have repair. Very tough machines. I have many customer who still run them everyday in their businesses.

  3. #3ironage2013-04-03 23:39

    Thanks for the advice guys. I know the engine hasn't been touched according to the owner so that might be my biggest concern off the top. From what I can tell in the picture he sent there doesn't seem to be any new paint on the arms anywhere so that's a plus. I wouldn't be as worried if I had to do some welding on the arms, but the engine and electrical are my biggest worries. Im going to call him and go have a look at it and run it a bit to see what its like.

  4. #4NCPIPELINE2013-04-04 10:34

    Nothing better than a hands on, and what I have learned is if it seems to good to be, it probably is. :IMO

  5. #5Delmer2013-04-04 15:36

    Why are you worried about an engine that hasn't been touched in 2,700 hours? I'd be more concerned about any machine that needed something serious in that time.

  6. #6Bobcatdan2013-04-04 18:38

    There is not much to worry about on a 873 with 2700 hr other then an engine timing belt. Duetzs have an interference head design so breaking a timing belt isn't the greatest. Otherwise a 873 would have to been beat from day one need much else with those hours. 873 can easily go 7 or 8000 hours before major drive train repairs.

  7. #7ironage2013-04-04 20:56

    Main reasons I was worried about the hours on the engine was the fact that the timing belt had never been changed and have heard the horror stories of what can happen if it breaks and didn't really want to have a big repair bill. I am going tomorrow to have a look at it and give it a test run so ill know more after that and have a better idea as to its condition. The owner said he had it into Bobcat a year ago for a check over and some electrical issues with the electronic dash.

  8. #8NCPIPELINE2013-04-05 06:42

    Good luck, we had to turn down a new piece a few days ago. Just a little to rough for use.

  9. #9Mikefromcny2013-04-05 21:30

    Bobcat 873s are a decent machine I think. There was a (early) C series, (mid) F series and the last were G series. The turbo deutz starts like a car, turn the key and its running. My cold start record was -10F without being plugged in, wasnt happy but she started. Change the timing belt as soon as you get it and dont worry about it. Loader arms were beefed up with the G series, they have the "rounded" cab and triangular headlights. Mine has 4200 hours and still has gobs of power. Mine will be for sale shortly as I found a almost loaded S250 for close to what the 873 will bring. I bought it for what I thought was a decent deal and for only $1500 more then what I sold my 743 for, and its twice the machine. Any pictures of this one and what are they asking?

  10. #10Asphalt/Dirtman2013-04-06 12:34

    Went from a well used 873 to a brand new S250 and the s250 was a much more polished machine. Side by side, S250 was more beefy structurally. 873 was a good machine, but I think the S250 is the ideal bobcat as far as large bobcats go.

  11. #11ironage2013-04-06 13:53

    Went and had a look at the 873 yesterday. As usual it looked a lot better in the picture and the picture was of the good side lol. Tires are about 20% and mismatched, interior is not to bad but seat will need recovering or replacing and the cutting edge that was supposed to be a bolt on is now a weld on and wore almost to the original bucket. Engine seems strong but when I pushed into a snow pile the right side powered down and even with pushing the stick ahead more it was still behind the left side. When driving it at about half speed and pushing both sticks ahead fast the right side still fell behind. The loader arms look to be free from cracks but the quick coupler is wore a lot and needs the lock pins changed for sure and the aux hyd lines have had the couplers removed and plugged. There is hyd oil leaking from the hyd spool, guessing it lost a cup or two in the 15minutes I ran it. Over all I am a little disappointed in the machine as compared to what the seller said it was like and he is firm on $15,000. I offered him $13,000 but he just flat out refused so im thinking this one to might just stay where it is. There are a couple 1845C machines that are in the works to be traded in at a dealer close to me so I may just hold off and see what happens with them, after all that is what I was hoping to find in the first place.

  12. #12Mikefromcny2013-04-06 14:27

    WOW! too bad you wherent closer to NY. I'd let you have mine for $9500 and it sound a lot better then that one. I've heard skids wherent cheap in the great white north though.

  13. #13cdm1232013-04-06 18:12

    Sounds like junk to me have you tryed FGI (bob cat of saskatoon) or bobcat of regina? i have had good experiance with bolth of them,good luck.

  14. #14Bobcatdan2013-04-07 08:49

    Those actually sound minor. The drive problems could very well be an adjustment problem. Control valve leak is a wear item in my mine and not hard to fix. That said $15000 is high for a machine in the shape you say it is.