Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

873F bobcat jerky steering

FordBroncoDave ยท 2016-02-01 15:42

I believe we have a 1995 bobcat 873 F series and something like 4300hours. I cannot get it to drive straight when putting pallet forks into something or attaching an attachment. it likes to jog right and left making it difficult to come up to something with finesse. I know its not me causing this, I can move our john deere 7775 just fine. The 873 is difficult to creep up on something without rapidly shooting to either side when you know you are pushing both controls evenly and carefully anyone know how to fix this or adjust something?

Replies7
  1. #1crewchief8882016-02-01 18:20

    cable operated steering? or solid linkage? :drinkup

  2. #2FordBroncoDave2016-02-01 19:28

    I believe it is solid linkage with shock absorbers. no cables that I can see

  3. #3kshansen2016-02-01 19:55

    First thing I'd be looking at is the linkage to see if there is any looseness in any of the joints, like worn out rod ends

  4. #4willie592016-02-01 20:36

    Most common cause on linkage controls is the pintle arm is loose where it clamps to the pump control shaft, might as well be riding a bucking bronco when that pintle arm gets loose.

  5. #5crewchief8882016-02-01 21:40

    what willie59 said. :drinkup

  6. #6FordBroncoDave2016-02-04 22:19

    how do I test this safely or can it be done with the engine off?

  7. #7willie592016-02-04 22:51

    It's a typical mechanics task Dave, raise the cab and start inspecting components related to the drive controls, namely, the drive sticks, the cross shaft that the sticks are connected to, the links that go back to the drive pumps, the rubber bushings in the links, and the drive control centering plate along with the pintle arms, checking all those parts for worn parts that could cause a problem. Here's a thread that will give you some info about the pintle arms at the drive pump controls. > HeavyEquipmentForums