Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

88 Ford L8000 7.8L Removing Thermostat housing

suladas ยท 2017-01-31 14:42

Got a bad leak in the coolant line going from thermostat housing down to engine, was hoping I could somehow fix it without tearing a bunch of stuff apart but there is just no room. Never had to do any work to this truck other then a starter (guess I can't complain about this repair) before so not that familiar with it. Anyone happen to have a diagram of how the thermostat housing comes off or any tips? It looks like a bear to take apart at first glance. It's been a great truck but dahm it is ever a pain to do any work under the hood there is just no room, especially for such a small engine. And it's at a job so hoping to make one trip to get it done and bring everything I need.

Replies3
  1. #1suladas2017-01-31 21:15

    Tried removing the thermostat housing, no luck after a few hours, never seen something designed so poorly to replace a simple hose. Unless i'm missing something, the entire fan has to come off to get at the last 4 bolts? I've removed everyone I can get at, and it's still not budging at all....

  2. #206Pete2017-02-01 21:02

    I don't know how your truck is but mine with a 7.8 has double thermostats and it was on top of the motor with only 4 bolts holding it on. Are you sure it is the thermostat housing you are trying to get off?

  3. #3suladas2017-02-09 01:24

    Yes, but I had to remove the entire housing, not just the top section to get at the thermostat, to replace the coolant hose into the motor. Got it all done, probably 8 hours to fix a stupid coolant line that if it was designed properly would take 15 minutes..... Sure glad this truck hasn't given me many problems. A few more repairs like this and it's going to the auction.